Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Man that car's lookin good. So how are the door seals? Mine are starting to rot and fall apart. Be careful with that alternator shroud, those things tend to break easily.
Hey door seals are all new, the old ones were too torn.

The alternator shroud won't fit in the correct position for some reason, the open part won't fit on the alternator bushing. The shop guy wants to grind the shroud a little to make it fit.

I honestly don't understand why it doesn't fit. How come they break? This one is pure metal very solid.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I think you have the right part. I don't think grinding is the answer. It should fit as is. You just have to place it right.
Weird thing is there is no way to fit it on the metal sleeve at the lower part of the alternator for some reason.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sound to me that nature has shifted the structure a bit -heat and cold, maybe an old car accident. If you need to grind it to fit then go for it. Old cars always become custom jobs anyway. Great to look at but mods and hiccups are common.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Sound to me that nature has shifted the structure a bit -heat and cold, maybe an old car accident. If you need to grind it to fit then go for it. Old cars always become custom jobs anyway. Great to look at but mods and hiccups are common.
Who knows everything looks perfectly straight and the cars has never been in an accident. I think maybe the shroud is either for a newer model or the lower alternator bushing piece is not original. Anyway I may just grind it if it doesn't fit.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Just had a thought on that alternator fan shround.
86 models used a different sized pulley (same alternator), narrower belt than stock. That may be the reason why it's not fitting correctly?

I don't think that part matters because the 86-90 (?) used the same alternator itself. Shroud mounting should not be any different. If I can find a picture somewhere of how it's mounted I'll post it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just had a thought on that alternator fan shround.
86 models used a different sized pulley (same alternator), narrower belt than stock. That may be the reason why it's not fitting correctly?

I don't think that part matters because the 86-90 (?) used the same alternator itself. Shroud mounting should not be any different. If I can find a picture somewhere of how it's mounted I'll post it.
That would be great, I've browsed through tons of pictures and got to the conclusion that the open part goes on the lower part of the alternator and the word FRONT goes towards the fender.

If you place the cover on the inside of the bracket where it looks like it should go, if won't fit because the open side is too small but it will cover the blades.

Pretty odd.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yes thats the way it goes, the stamp that says "FRONT" goes towards the coolant reservoir. Sorry, didnt mean to confuse ya.
It went in! Just took a little bit of grinding and it's facing towards the reservoir as a matter of fact. I almost made them put it backwards! haha.

I'm a bit disappointed since I was getting the car tomorrow but today I took a look and there are still a lot of tiny details to take care of. The idiot that did the polishing went way to far with the machine in some parts and screwed up the paint and some [email protected]#$^% scratched the rear door.

At least it's a well known shop and they are taking care of it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yeah that was me. But I was looking for the six rubber rails that run down the middle of the middle of the roof. Thanks anyways though. :)

So hows your car looking?
Oh ok I will keep an eye on em! I called the today sounds like everything is fine but I will probably go take a look on wed or tomorrow.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
New pictures, the car is due to be ready for this Thursday or Friday. Then I'm starting with other minor cosmetic things like interior bits, reupholstering the steering wheel, etc.

Some more pics (sorry for bad quality cellphone pics and not enough battery to light up the flash!)

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is a beautiful car!!! I'm really digging it. I'm sorta doing the same thing with a gen 2 92 Sable. I think you started out with a nicer car than I did though...I've about got all the mechanical lined out on mine and most of the body done(I had to replace a door and fender) It hasn't been fully prepped as I need to fill some small dings and whatnot. I'll keep an eye on this!! Love how your car is turning out.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts