Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
For $500 I saved this 89K Mile car from the scrapyard. The last few years is when it started racking up miles by the son after his mother passed. Those were rough years. This is how it generally sits in the garage:

Well optioned for a '89 compared to my well optioned '97 Grand Marquis, except the latter is in much better condition right now.

It even has digi-dash, but System Scanner has seen its way out, or maybe just its back light (camera decided it didn't want to steady out).

So the battery died. I jumped it off and got it out of the garage and washed it. The previous owner knocked the passenger side trim off and put it back on. With wood screws. :angry: So my friend and I removed all of the trim except for the front 'SABLE' trim pieces.

My feelings about this, but by the end this should be completely different once it starts running and looking better.

One of the first fixes that needs to be performed right up next to the head gasket is this wonderful repair after a fender bender.

A shop actually charged to do that. WTF.

So this is my laundry list of things that should appear on this project thread:
-Repair head gasket.
-Repair front clip with junkyard clip.
-Replace hood.
-Replace all front headlamp and parklamp assemblies.
-Replace all gas assist shocks under hood, tailgate, and glass.
-Fix tailgate glass locking mechanism.
-Attempt to repair System Scanner on digital dash.
-Repair EATC screen.
-Repair rear windshield wiper; currently non-functional (fuse?)
-Get seat covers.
-New battery.
-New spark plugs.
-New plug wires (I think they're '89 originals.)
-New springs.
-New shocks.
-Get proper lug nuts to replace the busted off locking nuts.
-Plastidip wheels or get Bullitts (Stock wheels are scuffed and corroded).
-Sand and Fill factory body holes.
-Redo trim only using thin upper piece.

Things I might do:
-Replace A/C Compressor and get belt for A/C.
-Paint the car black, redo the bumpers grey, and do a red pinstripe.

I have all summer to work on this after school gets out and what I make at my part time job usually accumulates fast enough to do most of this in a reasonable amount of time. The Grand Marquis doesn't drink as much gas as most people think, so not all of money goes into its tank, so it means more parts for the Sable and a few mods for itself.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I think I have some of the stuff you are looking for in my collection 'o parts...ie spare lug nuts and hood shocks. I'll sift through the stuff in the next day or two. I have some spare basketweave wheels if interested. Guessing you are looking for a battery hold down too?

That relay box looks like its turned 180 the wrong way. 3.0Ls have the connector looking at the battery.

Cool project to follow - good luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That relay box looks like its turned 180 the wrong way. 3.0Ls have the connector looking at the battery.
This has the 3.8L engine. Definitely torque-y enough for a front wheel drive station wagon.

This whole car will be a learning curve as I am way too used to a higher ride that I can easily slip under and a more cavernous (IMO) engine bay with a longitudinal engine versus a transverse one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
When ahead and took a look at the driver's side passenger door to figure out why it didn't work from the outside. It appears the right hand side pivot point has broken. At least on the plus side I found the lock plunger down in the door so I can tell if it is unlocked or not. (Sorry for no photos of this little operation.)

I moved along to the fender bender "repaired" area.

Keep in mind this was done by a shop.

I'd call this a temporary fix on a good day, but this happened in 2011.

The "fixes" removed. This is only some metal bent at angles with holes drilled through them and some sub-standard bolts inserted.

I guess now would be a good time to ask how to properly remove the head light assemblies so I don't do this and rig some crazy looking bolt to hold the light in. For the record, this was so bad it couldn't be aimed anywhere specific.

Sweet Jesus, what the **** is that noise?

So excessive bulb heat, electrical tape, and a junkyard light assembly is not the way to go. Fix it right, even if it is used, don't try to make something like this to fix. Fire hazard everywhere.

Headlight and corner out. At this time I'm also going to say I'm going to replace the fender, bumper (it's tattered on the bottom), along with the hood. See the pool of melted tape?

I even took out the front lightbar while I was at it to look at the damage of the panel that was supposed to hold the head light. Love the giant crack in it. The front lightbar needs some light bulbs right now. Is socket browning normal after 24 years?

Okay, so in terms of body work to be done is going to be the replacement of the hood, fender, and bumper. The trim shall be replaced down the side with some fresher looking trim. I have determined this car has the Dark Titanium Metallic Clearcoat with Titanium leather interior. Some might find the paint color nice, but I would rather change it to black or red during this project. The gray is just too sad looking for me.

Used and abused is all this car screams, but it has life still in it, I just have to get to fighting standards again and adhere to much closer maintenance intervals than my MGM.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally thought of a name for this wagon: Misty.

I don't know exactly where it's going, not really sure where it came from, but it will stay for a good long while.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Please submit this beauty for wagon of the month! Link in my signature!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This project is slowly creaking ahead, however school is out and work is still in, so I'll have some more time to mess with this.

Seeing as how I haven't made it to the junkyard yet, I went ahead and made some less than notable fixes, but at least it's something:

-Removed, painted, and re-indexed wiper arms. Haven't gotten new blades yet, however the old frames were there so long they rusted at the joints.
-Wet-sanded and polished corner lights and front lightbar.
-Cleaned the interior thoroughly. I'm sad to say the bucket of water/Murphy Oil Soap turned gray in that process.
-Found how the passenger door handle is broken.
-Proceeding to swap in a set of 1970 Plymouth Valiant horns.
-Purchased running light bulbs for corners and lightbar.

Still on the major to do list:
-Register for the road.
-Get it to the shop for the head gasket.
-Replace hood and driver side fender.
-Replace passenger side hub, a stud and a half have been broken off.

Fun Mods for Later:
-Polish and paint the basket weaves black, leave only the machined lip.
-Paint. I'm thinking red body, black upper trim for bumpers and side moulding, gray for the lower parts of the bumpers.

Here's a quick and lousy MS Paint picture of what I'm aiming for, however I don't think it'll be that bright in color:

I really don't enjoy the gray on gray with gray interior, if you get my drift.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,026 Posts
I finally thought of a name for this wagon: Misty.

I don't know exactly where it's going, not really sure where it came from, but it will stay for a good long while.
Want your project log title to include the name?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the junkyard run was semi-successful, mostly in part because try to find a first generation Sable headlight panel is friggin' impossible.

Scores:
Fender with mild dent - To be hammered out and filled/prepped.
Hood with paint chip - To be smoothed and prepped.
Badges (In Order) - 1990 'SABLE' from Sable, 2001 'LS' from Sable, 1984 'MERCURY' from Capri.

Missing Still:
Headlight
Headlight Panel
Side Trim

Here's some work:

Stripped down side (My friend couldn't find his good floor jack and stands, so don't kill me over the scissor jack, but the tire had to come off!):

Took a while before I remembered to get a picture, so the lighting is crap.

Trying PlastiDip on B and C Pillars:

Test run for wheel idea (Corrosion galore, this is still better than what it was prior):

I'm also looking to replace the trashed steering wheel. Who knows how many splines the wheels is so I can compile a list of interchangeable ones. Personally I'd like to see if an LTD or Marquis wheel would fit from the 85'-89' models.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Taurus and Sable from 86-89 have a unique design in which there are 4 pegs that sit down in a hole, with a rod that runs across. That rod turns the shaft. I have an 89 SHO steering wheel in my garage. Not mint, not great, but you're welcome to it cheap...say...$10? Also have a couple of hood shocks you're welcome to. 86-87 Taurus use one wheel design, 88-89 use a thicker handle. I have a spare Sable in-dash vent register too.

BTW, local pull a part in Columbia has a 90-91 sable with mint lights up front and front clip is mint ...only 60K miles original (I hooked a battery up and checked the digital display). I'll rob the parts off of the car if you want and stash them in a new one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I definitely would take you up on the steering wheel if it close enough in color. This week I'm scheduled up for work, but if I have a day off next week, I might be able to.

In regards to the headlight panel and light, maybe, just maybe. I'm not sure how often first generation Sables come in to my yard, and the one I got all the parts from had the assembly broken in the same area, just my luck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After a nice visit with Bull Geek, I now have a decent steering wheel to replace the worn out one, along with a few other spare parts for a just in case situation.

Bull Geek told me the steering wheel wasn't mint, I told him it couldn't be any worse that what I already had.

Would you like your steering wheel with extra flaky crust?

Pro-Tip: Leather shouldn't look like that if you take care of it.

A bit of leather conditioner and some ArmorAll for the center pad and it looks pretty good.

Install is easy, however I seem to be incapable of getting a steady shot sometimes.

Here's something for things to come. I paid $4 at a junkyard for this and these retail for around $170. This project is going places.

Today was pretty good all things considered, dealing with driving rain, slow drivers, the drivers without lights on in the rain, and trying to keep time during the trip.

Also, I still have to give my thanks to Bull Geek for letting me stop by to get the parts, it's hard enough finding first generation models, and especially pre-airbag steering wheels!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
It was good meeting you Mr. Wolf! You're welcome by anytime...between you, major, Brian05SEL, and radioflyer, hopefully I can clear out some of my Gen 1 stock.

TBH, I paid $35 for that steering wheel. Seller overstated what it was, but w/e. it's in a good home now. And it works perfectly on an 88-89 steering column only. All you need now is 87-89 Taurus or Sable black steering column shroud.

Hope to see the project someday in person - maybe this summer when I venture out to Pull A Part Augusta or Southern Pik A Part Augusta (you should check that place out BTW).

And that Grand Marquis is in immaculate shape for a 97. Excellent looking car inside and out.

Nick

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All you need now is 87-89 Taurus or Sable black steering column shroud.
With the gray dash, it should match nicely once I find one. I was actually thinking about that once I put the wheel on.

Hope to see the project someday in person - maybe this summer when I venture out to Pull A Part Augusta or Southern Pik A Part Augusta (you should check that place out BTW).
You will. It may or may not be painted by that time, but it should actually be running by then, scaring little children with its ungainly appearance. I've actually been to Southern Pik A Part, decent stock of everything, just lousy parking out front. :lol2:

And that Grand Marquis is in immaculate shape for a 97. Excellent looking car inside and out.
Thank you again. One day I hope the Sable looks nearly as good as it slowly gets built back up. Your Colony Park is also pretty good looking too, BTW.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts