Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Taurus and about five weeks ago, while backing out of my driveway, the front driver side strut spring broke and punctured my tire and broke an end link when it happened. I took it to a garage to get it fixed and they did an alignment too. Since then, every once in a while every time when I would turn my steering wheel a quarter to half a turn in either direction, there is a knocking sound. In the past week it has become more constant/worse. Any idea on what would be making this noise? :dunno: Thanks.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My bet is on the CV. I'm about to replace mine.

It's interesting that when you work on 1 thing on the front end, that you soon find that you have to replace other parts. I think the Taurus's suspension does not like to be tampered with.

First I wanted (not needed) new struts for a stiffer ride.... Changed them.
I got an alignment after I changed the struts. Figured it would be best for my new tires that I had a good alignment.
Then, I heard this loud roaring on the passenger side front.
The wheel bearing was shot. Had to change the wheel bearing.
Now, I have a clunking sound when I hit bumps as I go down the road.
I have already bought the CV shaft for the passenger side, and have been debating about just going ahead and changing the driver's side.

These front ends do not like to be disturbed!!!! Once you're in, you're all in. Good luck!

(My car should ride like brand new when I'm done!)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
check to see if the sway bar links are connected and are tight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bryan, A good guess is either the ball joint or one or more of the ti-rod ends is worn out or could have become damaged when the spring snapped and all hell broke loose on your front end. A very simple way to tell if the tie-rod ends are at fault is to simply jack up that corner of the car enought to get the wheel 2-3 inches off the ground. (make sure the opposite side wheel is still on the ground). Grab the wheel in your arms and try twisting it back and forth as if it is turning. if the tie-rod ends are in good order, the wheel should turn very little if not at all. If that wheel is moving back and forth in your arms while the opposite front wheel is stationary on the ground, you've got bad tie-rod ends.

BTW i hope you didn't pay for the repair of the broken spring on the front of your car. in most cases, front springs are a waranty issue and covered by ford.
hope this helps some
jay

·
Registered
22 Posts
if you have lots of miles on your taurus, do not overlook the assembly which connects the steering column to the steering rack. this part has u-joints in it, and also two metal shafts which slide on each other.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Did they replace your struts, and/or strut mounts? That could be where the noise is comming from, my strut plates are bad with only 70k miles on my '07. It makes a crunching sound when you turn the wheel or go over certain dips/bumps at low speed, but not enough to make me buy new struts yet, of which you may as well since you have to take them out (springs too) to replace a strut plate.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If it makes the noise while you're sitting still and turning the wheel, it's likely bad strut bearings. To check, jack up the front of the car enough that you can reach your hand in and put it on the spring. Then have someone turn the steering wheel. If the bearings are binding, you'll feel it in the spring as the wheels turn - the spring will pop in your hand as the bearing binds, then releases, binds then releases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts