Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well right after I got my transmission problem fixed, my engine/tranny (not sure which one is the culprit) is making a pinging/knocking noise.

Im not losing power, im not feeling a difference in drive-ability and well, nothing feels different. Tranny shits wonderfully and engine is strong as a new rebuilt one. Anyways, here are the symptoms and the times it does it.

When I have the car in P (parking) the knocking goes away and I can't here it.
When its in R (Reverse) it knocks.
When its on N (Neutral) it doesn't knock.
When its on any of the D's (Drives) it knocks.

The knocking sometimes happens, but its been starting to happen more frequently. When I Rev the engine in a Drive Gear, the knocking goes faster depending on how fast the car is going. Im getting worried that I might have damaged the tranny when I wasn't getting the gears.

Anywho, do you guys have any suggestions? The knocking sounds like its coming from underneath or the middle of the car. I've been running regular 10/30 Valvoline Oil on my car, im thinking of switching to Synthetic.

Thank you guys again, well in advance ;).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Scratch out all that info about coming from the bottom, its actually coming from the pulleys side. Not sure which one it could be.

How to i perform that one test with a piece of hose to pinpoint the problem?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Remove the accessory belt, start the car, and see if the sound disappears. Otherwise, could be a timing chain tension problem.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Remove the accessory belt, start the car, and see if the sound disappears. Otherwise, could be a timing chain tension problem.
[/b]
:werd: That's the quickest wasy to isolate the engine from the accessory drive.

FWIW, my alternator made sort of a fast knocking noise that got much worse with engine speed when the bearings went south. It would almost disappear at idle at first - just a thought that it could be one of the accessories.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Don't let it run long though, the water pump is driven by that belt.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just called my mechanic to come and look at my car, so hopefully he can find out what it is. I don't want to damage anything on the car, so i've only driven the car to work and back, 2 miles max travel a day.

Thank you guys, I'll let him know what your opinions were so maybe he can check them out.

- DL

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mechanic couldn't find anything, they just found a few lose header bolts but that was about it. They said they can't pinpoint, now that truly sucks.

What is the Flex Pipe? Maybe i can check that out later on today.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm are these located in the front of the car towards the oil pan?

Also, would a failed coil pack make such a noise?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll see if I can attach a file for you guys to listen. Im sorry about the extra noise, its just the fans kicked in when I was recording.

I started with P, then reved it, then moved it to R, thats when you start hearing a constant pinging noise. and so on I went. I'll see if I can attach something better in quality later on.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/54096441437207cb/

That file right there is the recording. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick question guys, what would 1 lose or broken spark plug sound like when running? would a ticking/pinging noise sound off? Because after doing a quick check with a piece of hose and putting it to my ear, it sounds as if the sound is coming from the back of my engine towards where the Rear Spark plugs are.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Quick question guys, what would 1 lose or broken spark plug sound like when running? would a ticking/pinging noise sound off? Because after doing a quick check with a piece of hose and putting it to my ear, it sounds as if the sound is coming from the back of my engine towards where the Rear Spark plugs are.
[/b]
Could be detonation or a misfire. With all that extra fuel/air in the cylinder, you could hear some kind of noise. Is the pinging that you hear uniform, or is it random?

Edit: I just read your first post again. It seems to only be pinging under load, which would lead me to the transmission or something attached to it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im sorry for misleading you guys so much, took it to three different mechanics today and all three said Exhaust Manifold Gasket Leak.

Transmission was rebuilt a few years back and engine was just changed out for a 52K mile one. It makes sense how a EMGasket leak would and does sound exactly like my problem.

Check this youtube video to get a bit of a sense of what it sounds like. Its not a rod knock. The sound is a little ticking noise after they accelerate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urQ-SEMRYyY&NR=1

How easy/hard would it be to replace and get to the exhaust manifold gasket?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts