Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I recently replaced the rear struts/springs in my son's 2001 SEL. I used the KYB quick struts. I also replaced the sway bar end links. I now having a clunking sound from both sides when going over bumps. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
I would check would be to make sure those sway bar end links got tight enough, you might have to find a way to make sure they are compressed so you can get them good and tight. Also, make sure the strut rod nut is tight in the spindle. Did you loosen the sway bar bushings to the frame? If you did then check those too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
WHen I had struts replaced in my old 89 taurus the mechanic forgot to the strut mount on one side and it clunked pretty bad over any bump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would check would be to make sure those sway bar end links got tight enough, you might have to find a way to make sure they are compressed so you can get them good and tight. Also, make sure the strut rod nut is tight in the spindle. Did you loosen the sway bar bushings to the frame? If you did then check those too.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried tightening the sway bar end links more as well as the strut rod nut. They were not loose and I couldn't get them any tighter.

I folded the seats down and rode in the trunk while having my son drive and the clunking seems to be coming from the top of the strut towers. Could I have put these on incorrectly oriented? It seems like they can only go on one way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts