Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want a single 10" subwoofer in my trunk, do i need to have an amp to have an aftermarket subwoofer in my gen 4. I have the stock stereo.

im very new to the car audio and im only 16

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you want to run decent power to the sub, yes. Mono channel amp will be sufficient. A lot of guys here got mods on the audio! It's good to search up amplifiers in the keyword search. Also, what kind of box are you planning on using, vented or closed. Closed for more crisp bass, where vented is loose and draggy.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
ported works very very well with rap and hip hop and that kind of music

enzo is right...if you want to have the punch that subs are known for then you will need an amp

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a sealed box the sub does have some kick, my friend had it in his car, but i can only do some basic wiring, and the money for an amp is an issue

so i was just wondering, can u just tap into to the speakers in the rear deck for half way decent sound quality

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good advice: save up your money, buy amp. Simple. A sub with no strong power source, won't pump very much. Better off to wait, check best buy, they always have some amps on clearance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright thanks enzo

im still not to sure what im doing ill search the forum for wiring diagrams and help

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
dont splice the sub into the rear speakers because subs do not have built in crossovers that I know of and it wont sound right. If you have an aftermarket headunit it will be easy to wire up the amp and the subs to it. if you still have the stock radio the you will need a LOC (line out converter) to hook the amp up to the radio

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont splice the sub into the rear speakers because subs do not have built in crossovers that I know of and it wont sound right. If you have an aftermarket headunit it will be easy to wire up the amp and the subs to it. if you still have the stock radio the you will need a LOC (line out converter) to hook the amp up to the radio
[/b]
okay thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pioneer 6x8's im not sure about the wattage for the speakers tho, but i did match the wattage for the sub

·
Registered
167 Posts
pioneer 6x8's im not sure about the wattage for the speakers tho, but i did match the wattage for the sub [/b]
Ok, make sure you don't put too much wattage through the speakers, the result is unpleasent and smells horrid

1 - 16 of 16 Posts