Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my Taurus even after 12 years came with both keys and key-fobs!!

my bf at the time now ex left his set in the car one day and they vanished.

Needless to say im paranoid now!!

is there a way to change the signal in my key-fob and in the car to only work on my fob? like change a code to deactivate the other fob?
or should i remove the power wires on all the locks and say screw the fob? change the locks? I LOVE MY KEYLESS!!!!

if anything i may need to get the locks changed, im not sure what to do!!

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
turn the key from the off to on position 6-8 times (idr which) anyways you will hear the doors lock then press the unlock/lock buttons on the fob ... and you done... for keyless entry pad do the same thing but when the doors lock type in the door code to unlock. This will reprogram your fob making the one thats you lost no longer able to open your doors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there a way to make the manual key lock on the door not work? like unhook a rod or something? so that the key in the tumbler won't unlock it?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yup. There is a linkage you can disconnect, you will have to pop off the door panel.

·
Super Moderator
8,626 Posts
Replacement door lock cylinders with matching keys are available at most parts stores for not much $$ (maybe $10 each / $20 for a pair), and are pretty easy to install yourself after removing the door panel, which is also quite easy.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
you could also just take the key you have to a dealership and have them reprogram it. This would make the lost one unable to start the ignition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts