Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 97 GL wagon a couple weeks ago. When I cycle the ignition switch 5 times, the door locks cycle to confirm that the car is equipped with keyless, however I did not get keyfobs with the car. I am unable to locate 3 button wagon keyfobs, however 4 button sedan remotes are very easy to locate and cheap. Will they work with my wagon? My 00 explorer remote does not work with the taurus.

Thanks for any pointers.

·
Registered
354 Posts
you can use the older 4 button remotes. not sure about the older 3 buttons working. new style ford remotes do not work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can use the older 4 button remotes. not sure about the older 3 buttons working. new style ford remotes do not work.
[/b]
Thanks. I did check ebay. There are 4 button remotes a-plenty, but did not see any 3 button style. The owner's manual for my wagon shows that the wagon came with a 3 button remote and the sedan came with a 4 button remote, the extra button being for trunk release on the sedan.

I'll grab a couple of the old style 4 button remotes.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Wagons had the same remote as the sedan...there was never a 3 button factory keyless entry system on the Taurus. Just be sure to buy the correct style of remote (it will say "UNLOCK" and "LOCK" on it) as opposed to the graphics used on later models. The trunk button for wagons pops the rear glass window iirc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wagons had the same remote as the sedan...there was never a 3 button factory keyless entry system on the Taurus. Just be sure to buy the correct style of remote (it will say "UNLOCK" and "LOCK" on it) as opposed to the graphics used on later models. The trunk button for wagons pops the rear glass window iirc.
[/b]
Pages 42 and 43 of the Owner's Guide clearly shows depictions of a 3 button wagon and 4 button sedan transmitter. Trunk release is defined as a sedan only feature. Guide is dated october 1996.

I ordered both a 3 button and a 4 button transmitter from ebay. Will report back after their arrival.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Pulled up a 1997 owner's manual in PDF to see this keyfob...doesn't show it...weird. Maybe Ford made some changes to the manual after Oct 96? According to the manual (page 44) it shows the trunk button on the keyfob as opening the liftgate:

Using the trunk button
Press once to open the
trunk (sedan) or
unlock the liftgate
(wagon).

I do see what you're saying about the sedan only feature for the interior trunk release. You have the washer/wiper controls in that spot. :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I got a 97 GL wagon a couple weeks ago. When I cycle the ignition switch 5 times, the door locks cycle to confirm that the car is equipped with keyless, however I did not get keyfobs with the car. I am unable to locate 3 button wagon keyfobs, however 4 button sedan remotes are very easy to locate and cheap. Will they work with my wagon? My 00 explorer remote does not work with the taurus.

Thanks for any pointers.
[/b]
does that work for any ford vehicals cause i didn't get any remotes for my 99 windstar sorry about the jack :D

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

Thanks for any pointers.
[/b]
does that work for any ford vehicals cause i didn't get any remotes for my 99 windstar sorry about the jack :D
[/b][/quote]
It may vary for your year of Windstar. It will tell you how to enter programming mode specifically if you check your owners manual. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay.

I ordered 2 brand new transmitters from an ebay vendor. (1) 3 button for a 97 wagon, and (1) 4 button for a 97 sedan.

The vendor sent me a pair of 4 button transmitters. Both transmitters are identical in apperance.

Transmitter 1's trunk button pops the rear window.
Transmitter 2's trunk button unlocks the rear hatch without unlocking the car's doors.

????

Otherwise, they function identically and as expected. Both transmitters lock the car when lock is pressed once, flash lights and honk horn when lock is pressed twice, unlock the driver's door when unlock is pressed once, and unlock all doors when unlock is pressed a second time.

Odd, but I don't care. I'm happy just to have keyless.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up. :) That's kind of interesting that the trunk button actually functions differently on the different remotes.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
My '94 LX wagon had a 3-button remote - and my '97 GS owners manual also shows it, but since I don't have keyless entry on the '97 I can't prove it with a picture. B)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wagon tailgate doesn't lock or unlock anymore. it makes a clicking sound and the knob moved a little bit but not enough to unlock when I hit the remote fob. Similarly if I unlock and try to lock same symptons. (using the lock/unlock tabs on the fob) Works sometimes with the trunk tab!

So the remote and electric connenections seem to be working OK.

Anybody had the problem before? I have removed the covers etc and everything works fine mechanically.

All feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I bought a set of new fobs off ebay and they worked fine on my car... Last month, I noticed that the loaner 2009 Focus I got had the exact same fob as the ones that I bought... So :dunno:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts