Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to program the keyless entry code in a 2000 Taurus. I can either take it to a dealership and get the factory code that way. I could also locate the module in the trunk and read the code off of it. Before I do either one, does anyone know if the keypad can be programed when the anti-theft system is in service mode? I tried cycling the ignition switch 8 times and it works. The car goes into what many posters in other forums call service mode. Once in this mode, has anyone had success with programing the keypad?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My module was under the dash. Actually, sort of in the area of the back right corner of the radio. I was able to read the code from there without pulling the module. As I seem to recall you need to have the factory code to set the personal code. If you need any further info on how to set the codes, let me know and I'll look them up. You might also check the right side deck hinge arm. Some cars put a key pad code there also.

X

·
0 Posts
The factory code cannot be changed, however you may create a personal code if you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oops

That was left rear of the radio, not right rear.

That would be the drivers side for those of us who have troubles with those kind of things on occasion...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked behind the dash on the driver's side. I found two white labels one reads "Taurus ****(unreadable) Bay". This one is about 6 inches above the accelerator pedal on the right side. Another label behind the dash just behind the A/C unit has a few numbers and letters and "ATC" in bold letters.
The factory code is a 5 digit code right? I didn't see any 5 digit codes on either one of the labels.

I don't know if different package types have the module in different places. The 2000 Taurus that I own is an SE with electronic A/C controls and a column shifter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It was a warm night (32 degrees
) so I crawled out under the dash since I couldn't remember exactly where the code was. It's pretty easy and all you'll need is an inspection (dentist) mirror and a flashlight. There is a white module that is a couple of inches straight above the accelerator that is secured to the firewall. This is the module you need.

There is a tag on the module on the right hand side by the duct work (it faces one of the tags that you mentioned). There is a lot of writing on it but there are 5 large numbers and those are the ones. The tricky part is reading the numbers in the mirror, upside down, while laying upside down.

It doesn't get much easier than that! Mine is a 98SE, also with EATC, and a floor shift and console. I doubt that the location differs from mine to yours.

Hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts