Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story - my kid went to pull my '01 Taurus into my garage. Well, he accidentally grabbed my wife's Escape ignition key. He attempted to start my Taurus with the Escape key with no luck. Came in and grabbed the correct key. Tried starting but now the key doesn't turn the ignition.
Now I'm thinking that this is a big coincidence. This is a mechanical problem not a security problem due to the incorrect key being used - correct?

I understand that if the incorrect key is tried, it won't let the vehicle to be started but the ignition will still be able to be turned - correct?

·
Registered
22,431 Posts
^+1. Ive often had several key rings in my pockets and mistakenly inserted a sable key into a taurus ignition. Fired imm. up with the right key. I guess it depends on what jr. did with the escape key. Try turning the steering wheel a bit with the correct key inserted and attempt to rotate (start).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I tried everything. Tried jiggling the shifter and steering wheel - no luck. Pulled the key out, pushed back in, flipped around, etc. Still no luck. This really sucks.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The THEFT light would be flashing rapidly if the key was not the right one for the car.

To clarify, you can insert the key into the ignition fully, but the tumbler will not move in any direction?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had to spray my locks(all of them) with dry graphite once when this happened,, A super large "hump" on the wrong key caused the tumbler to hang up..Just a thought...
willie

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Hmmmm, here are a couple of possible ideas:

Clean and lubricate the lock cylinder. Spray a liberal amount of electrical contact cleaner to flush away dirt and grime, followed by a quick spray of silicone or a drop or two of liquid graphite to lubricate. Be careful not to allow it to drip on upholstery or carpet. Keep the car open to prevent accumulation of fumes, and avoid sparks and open flames.

On some lock cylinders, a tumbler may bind in a locked position, and the springs are unable to to push it back out. Firmly tapping the face of the lock cylinder can release the stuck tumbler. A tack hammer is about the perfect size and weight for most key cylinders.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Maybe you could try replacing your ignition switch, I'm not sure what one would cost, but I do know that they are easy to remove and install. Just a suggestion. Good luck!;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmmm, here are a couple of possible ideas:

Clean and lubricate the lock cylinder. Spray a liberal amount of electrical contact cleaner to flush away dirt and grime, followed by a quick spray of silicone or a drop or two of liquid graphite to lubricate. Be careful not to allow it to drip on upholstery or carpet. Keep the car open to prevent accumulation of fumes, and avoid sparks and open flames.

On some lock cylinders, a tumbler may bind in a locked position, and the springs are unable to to push it back out. Firmly tapping the face of the lock cylinder can release the stuck tumbler. A tack hammer is about the perfect size and weight for most key cylinders.

I have a 2008 Ford Taurus AWD. Where would i find the lock cylinders to attempt to release them?

My ignition locked and i brought it in to Ford and they said I needed to replace the ignition column so they did so and it was initially fixed (I could turn the car on and the steering wheel was no longer locked) but when i brought it home i decided to lock the steering wheel again on purpose to see if the problem was fixed, but now I can't unlock it again and am having the same problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
quin383
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing