Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 03 SES I had one original key, I went to a locksmith and he made a key for me and programed it, it is now my wifes key. On occassion she can't start the car and for the past few weeks I told her she must be doing something wrong. Well she gave me her key and asked me to start the car and I did, she asked me again and the car would not start or crank, feels like absolutely no contact was made. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on. It's getting annoying.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Does it start every time with the original key?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it starts every time with the original.
Sheila, is what your saying is a faulty key would that be in the programing or cut of the key itself?
Thanks for your time and answers.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Sounds like the RFID transponder in the second key is bad. I would suggest using a genuine Ford key. Could probably get a Ford key and have the locksmith program it, or, if you can sometimes get the second key to work, you can program a third new key yourself. See owners manual.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Wish I was heading down there with you. What are you pulling down there? A trailer full of beer?

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
We fly to cancun or puerto vallarta a couple of times a year, but have never driven lol. Be careful when crossing through those border towns! I envy you! A whole winter! Our stays are 2-3 weeks tops. Have fun!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the good wishes, we have been doing this on and off for the past 20 years. Never stay anywhere near the border and have never stayed near the border. The whole country changes into Mexico about 100 miles down.
On another issue, my wife was using the car this morning and was having lots of trouble, not being able to start it and I watched her, seems he was turning the key 3/4 of the way with both hands. I turned it all the way and it started but there is lots of resistance also seems like there is some antitheft system that arms itself when the car is opened without the key. Since we are on our own land we never lock the car and it seems like that was keeping her from starting the car with the non original key.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.