Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Taurus and need a new key fob (automatic door opener). Is this something you can only get at a dealership? I have gotten garage door openers from Home Depot and thought there may be a place like that for car door fobs. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You can try an auto wrecker. They usually get the owners keys with insurance wrecks and the same fobs work with different models. You will have to program your car to accept the "new" fob.

Not to sound condescending but fobs have batteries that can be changed. My exwife didn't realise that and thew hers away.

Popeye

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
QUOTE (popeye @ Jun 4 2010, 10:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809258
You can try an auto wrecker. They usually get the owners keys with insurance wrecks and the same fobs work with different models. You will have to program your car to accept the "new" fob.

Not to sound condescending but fobs have batteries that can be changed. My exwife didn't realise that and thew hers away.

Popeye[/b]
I thought that was strange too, but a friend of mine who was not a car person thought the same thing. They were going to get a new alarm system because they were down to their last FOB. I picked up a couple of batteries and they were all set.

Anyway, best place to get a FOB would be from ebay although you might find some companies that sell them direct, but ebay would probably have the cheapest price.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, my ex-roommate lost mine and the dealership wanted a hellaciaous amount for a new programmed one. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts