Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys a buddy of mine drives an 01 taurus and is having problems with his key fob not working. He replaced the battery and the key fob is a newer keyfob he says, so im kinda confused. I tried it myself and the fob only works if its pointing down underneath the steering wheel? It wont work outside the car or pointing up for that matter :huh:. is there an antenna or something down there? I've never dealt with anything like this before with these newer gens. All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The battery in the car will not lose programming to the key fob. More than likely the Fob is worn out. If you have changed the battery and its properly installed and it still does not work you could try reprogramming it. Sometimes when you change batteries it can mess with the syncing process between the car and fob.

Hope that helps, Rockysocs. ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We tried reprogramming it and we did successfully but that still didn't solve our problem. I've disconnected the battery and reconnected , taken apart the key fob, nothing seems to be solving our issue.

·
Registered
142 Posts
All Ford OEM key fobs are not created equal. If the fob has always done what you are saying then it's probably not the right fob. If it worked before normally, and now doesn't work right, then the fob might need to be replaced, since he replaced the battery, and it still doesn't work.

If you look on the back of the fob, you will see the part number. It should be four characters-six characters-two characters. It should be the first series of characters on the back of the fob. You can Google that part number, and see if it works for that car. I don't know what you mean when you say it's a newer fob. Did he just buy it, or is it from a newer vehicle? If it isn't the right one for that car, it won't work right. I would also recommend getting a second fob. They are good to have for a back up, and in this case, if one worked, and the other didn't, it would be easier to figure out the problem. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The regular 4 button and 3 button fobs (ones with the bold faced logos for the unlock/lock, as well as the outlined ones from newer Fords) work AOK on Gen 4s...I have 4 different ones programmed on my 2000 :)

How does the wiring look underneath the the dash up by the dead pedal? Any wire chafing? The keyless entry component is right up under the dash and is integrated with the central junction box/fusebox/gem componentry.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The regular 4 button and 3 button fobs (ones with the bold faced logos for the unlock/lock, as well as the outlined ones from newer Fords) work AOK on Gen 4s...I have 4 different ones programmed on my 2000 :)

How does the wiring look underneath the the dash up by the dead pedal? Any wire chafing? The keyless entry component is right up under the dash and is integrated with the central junction box/fusebox/gem componentry.
I guess if you got them to work then that sounds good to me. I called a Ford dealer about a year and a half ago about replacing some fob's, and the parts guy told me that they weren't all the same. I often wondered what was different about them. It sounds like they are all the same.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yea during Cash 4 Clunkers, i grabbed a few clickers from a bunch of different Fords at the junkyard and checked it out. The 3 buttons (encircled and outlined) and 4 button (encircled and outlined) fobs worked. I was kinda surprised. Never found any of those special Lincoln remotes to try out.

The guy's behind the parts counter are not always correct. Have been fed many lines of BS in the past...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts