Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Key doesn't work in the doors

22K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  markdunn99 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I bought my 1999 Taurus wagon back in 2008, and since I've never really been able to get the doors, or the rear hatch unlocked using only the key, I've always had to used the electronic push button keychain thing (this is the first car I've owned that has had power locks).

Anyway, I have 3 different keys, and none have worked in the locks, but they all work in the ignition.

They won't unlock the rear hatch either, however, if I unlock the rear hatch door, I can then turn the key in the lock to unlock the rear window.

The only reason I bother is that in the winter, when it's very cold and my car has been sitting for awhile, sometimes the electronic key wont open the door. Last winter I learned this, the doors wouldn't unlock with the electronic key fob, or the 2 physical keys I had with me. I learned that if I held the electronic unlock button for 15-30 seconds, eventually they usually unlock, but I just don't like the idea of being stuck out in 10 degree weather with a car that won't unlock.

Basically I'd just like to know if this is a common problem, if anyone's gone through it before.

Anyway, my first post here, hope it's in the right forum, and thanks for any responses.

See less See more
#2 ·
I owned a 99 Taurus since 2005 and I never quite figured out how to get the passenger door to open reliably with the key (power lock works just fine). The key opens the lock only after I put some WD-40 (yeah, I now know this is bad) or graphite powder on the key. However, a few weeks later the key can't be turned any more. My guess is that these locks develop some kind of long term problem (rust perhaps?) due to lack of use. I never quite figured out a solution to this non-problem. I can only suggest to have a tube of graphite powder handy somewhere (you can buy it for 2-3 dollars at Autozone).

#3 ·
Ahh, graphite powder, I'll try that on Monday, since there's an Autozone a block from my apartment. Hopefully it will be that simple.

Also, I have no idea if the people that owned the car before I bought it in 2008 ever used the keys for the door locks. Perhaps they just stopped turning because they were never used...

Thanks though!

#4 ·
The linkage for the lock mechanism to key cylinder becomes corroded over time in the Snow/Salt/Rust Belt. That is why the key lock becomes dysfunctional. You need to clean it all up good (removing the inner door panel helps) then spray it down with white lithium grease.

#7 ·
2001 Sable wagon rear hatch stuck

out of the blue...door power lock fuse is blowing. Put a new one in and after a couple of clicks it blows again. Rear hatch is stuck...will not open...I assume it is stuck shut or perhaps wiring going to it is compromised causing the fuse to blow. But..question is...how the heck do I get it open? It won't open manually. Can I get the door panel off from the inside with the door closed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.