Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was driving home today, the Sable would make this ker-KLUNK sound whenever I go over the slightest bump. I've taken the car to the other side of town and back tonight 4 times, and I think it's getting louder. It sounds like it's coming from the right rear suspension. Any idea what's wrong?

Interesting change from the old board, BTW.

X

·
0 Posts
Check your sway bar, it could be lose. If not that, it could be a strut mount.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@Dec 5 2003, 10:11 PM
Check your sway bar, it could be lose. If not that, it could be a strut mount.
mostlikely a strut mount, i think thats whats wrong on my dad's 98 se as certain bumps at certain speeds make a clunking sound except on ours it sounds like it is in the left rear

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sway bar end link.

Get under there and inspect it. Diagnosis by osmosis doen't work very well.

Steve

·
Registered
161 Posts
Maybe you got a bunch of *edit* bouncin around the trunk

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Maybe you got a bunch of *edit* bouncin around the trunk[/b]
Me Too

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Usually that's a broken sway bar end link. Also happens if a strut mount is loose, so check them.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
And how do you tell if these are broken?...my back right and front right (passenger sides) make this sound....I cant find anything. <_< However my front shock is off its mount by about an inch.......dont even ask how i managed that
...now i have a single racing cambered wheel....a loud humming noise from the tire....and kur klunks. I feel damn special.....but i'm off to make a topic about this...................

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had same issue in my car, rear right wheel. I looked and the sway bar link snapped apart. I picked up a new one from the dealer for 25 bucks. The clunking just got too annoying. Putting it in is a bit tricky and requires some force to bend down the sway bar to fit the link in. I did it myself but I must warn you it is very dangerous when pushing the sway bar down so mmuch, if you use a bar to hold it down and you slip, thats asking for trouble. I used 2 jacks and 2 jack stands incase any of them gave way. Better to be safe then sorry. I have a gen2, id assume it would be the same install for a gen3. Just look by the tire and check if anything is snapped. I heard mine break off when i took a hard turn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I went out and looked today and sure enough the sway bar end link broke, just above the sway bar. I told my father, explained what a sway bar was, and showed it to him, and he says we'll take it in to be fixed tomorrow. I looked it up in my Chilton manual and it looks like it would take all of 20 minutes, but he'd rather have it done by a "professional"

That stupid little thing costs $25?! MAN...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah its a simple prcedure. I believe the dealer charges 60 or so for parts and labor, still not too bad. I was just looking to save some money by doing it myself.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle@Dec 7 2003, 03:49 PM
I had same issue in my car, rear right wheel. I looked and the sway bar link snapped apart. I picked up a new one from the dealer for 25 bucks. The clunking just got too annoying. Putting it in is a bit tricky and requires some force to bend down the sway bar to fit the link in. I did it myself but I must warn you it is very dangerous when pushing the sway bar down so mmuch, if you use a bar to hold it down and you slip, thats asking for trouble. I used 2 jacks and 2 jack stands incase any of them gave way. Better to be safe then sorry. I have a gen2, id assume it would be the same install for a gen3. Just look by the tire and check if anything is snapped. I heard mine break off when i took a hard turn.
This is why I recommend doing it while the car is on the ground; the sway bar isn't under tension if the car isn't jacked up. It's a bit harder to get to, but it's definently safer than wrestling with the stupid thing.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by dant98@Dec 6 2003, 02:23 PM
Usually that's a broken sway bar end link. Also happens if a strut mount is loose, so check them.

-Dan
Yo, how do I check the strut mount??? I went out there with my mad ratchet, but everything seemed tight to me <_<

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just picked up the car. Got the bill. Replaced both sway bar end links (guess that's a good idea). A WHOPING $110. How the **** can it cost $110?!
$32 for parts, $77 for labor!? GEEZ!!! I think the time on the paper was 1.4 hours, and the notes said "front" klunking noise. It's fine now, but MAN. I wish he'd let me do my own maintenence. I could have done it in half an hour tops!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
wow. do they charge so much for changing sway bar end links?
btw 33 seems to little for a pair of front end links,
one itself costs around 30..

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Originally posted by 97SableLSDuratec@Dec 7 2003, 03:27 PM
Well I went out and looked today and sure enough the sway bar end link broke, just above the sway bar. I told my father, explained what a sway bar was, and showed it to him, and he says we'll take it in to be fixed tomorrow. I looked it up in my Chilton manual and it looks like it would take all of 20 minutes, but he'd rather have it done by a "professional"

That stupid little thing costs $25?! MAN...
Then show him who's boss and demand to fix it yourself. Why spend the money on unnessesary labor. With x-mas around the corner, I'm sure you need the extra cash.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
dude,

I want to change the front sway bar end links. But not sure If I can do it DIY... on my GEN 3 96 GL.

Can someone tell me. ? I think the nuts there are 18 mm. I am thinking of buying a good 18 mm socket and using my ratchet...

I dont have jack stands... Can I do it with out taking the wheels off or jacking up?

also. how much should labour be if I want this changed at a shop? I get the end links. abt 30 for the metal ones at carquest.

pl I need to know this?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts