Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I keep the low beams on together with high beams when I turn on the high beams? I really don't want to spend $30 on the module that does it, is there any other way? Asking this because I am doing projector retrofit soon.

Also I can't decide between 6K or 8K HID. I have 6K now and to me it's a little bit too white and I want a little bit more blue but Im afraid 8K will be too blue and ugly, especially in a projector. Opinions?

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
Running both low and high beam filaments simultaneously on a 9007 bulb will kill the bulbs VERY VERY quickly.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should've explained better... the projector has a thing that lowers when you turn on the high beams to let out more light. The problem is when the high beams are turned on, the low beams turn off, and the HID bulb only has one beam not both

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just stick something behind flash to pass to force both high's and lows. But without a harness that upgrades the wiring + does this for you it won't last for long.

I am considering buying one of those upgraded harnesses myself, Having high and lows on at the same time work out for me esp since id rather see the deer and pedestrians on some of the country roads I drive on. Safety vs Cost.. I also have Driving / Fog lights installed..

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Don't you have any consideration for the other drivers on the road? That kind of lighting in the eyes of oncoming motorists could temporarily blind them. That's why there are limitations on what automakers can do at the factory.

I encounter cars occasionally with lights so bright I want to run them off the road. Please, reconsider this urge. LA's got enough problems already.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Running both low and high beam filaments simultaneously on a 9007 bulb will kill the bulbs VERY VERY quickly.
Not to mention the extreme heat will melt your lenses after prolonged use

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Sorry I should've explained better... the projector has a thing that lowers when you turn on the high beams to let out more light. The problem is when the high beams are turned on, the low beams turn off, and the HID bulb only has one beam not both
If the HID projector has the cutoff that can be lowered, it is designed for both low and high beam use.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see how putting an HID in a projector will be any more blinding than a factory one. I don't plan on driving around the city with high beams on don't worry. Thank you Mystery, cheap and simple lol

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Sorry I should've explained better... the projector has a thing that lowers when you turn on the high beams to let out more light. The problem is when the high beams are turned on, the low beams turn off, and the HID bulb only has one beam not both.

Sorry sir but I don't think you undestand how HID's work in a projector retrofit; Low beam will work as usual from factory and when you apply the high beam from light switch the signal go to the High beam shield on the projector to lower it and let all the usable light be spread by the projector; it wont turn off your low beam.
Of course you'll need Projectors,ballast,HID bulbs and HID wiring harness to control low beams and projector cut off shield.
Hope this help. :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry I should've explained better... the projector has a thing that lowers when you turn on the high beams to let out more light. The problem is when the high beams are turned on, the low beams turn off, and the HID bulb only has one beam not both.

Sorry sir but I don't think you undestand how HID's work in a projector retrofit; Low beam will work as usual from factory and when you apply the high beam from light switch the signal go to the High beam shield on the projector to lower it and let all the usable light be spread by the projector; it wont turn off your low beam.
Of course you'll need Projectors,ballast,HID bulbs and HID wiring harness to control low beams and projector cut off shield.
Hope this help. :)
no I got that, but from what I understood the shield will lower when high beam is turned on but there will not be any light because when normally switched onto high beam, the low beam turns off

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
no I got that, but from what I understood the shield will lower when high beam is turned on but there will not be any light because when normally switched onto high beam, the low beam turns off.

Nope I just explain that in my previous post and that's why you need the HID harness because when you apply high beams the harness send the signal to the cut off shield, it won't turn off your low beams as it will do with a factory set up.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
How can I keep the low beams on together with high beams when I turn on the high beams? I really don't want to spend $30 on the module that does it, is there any other way? Asking this because I am doing projector retrofit soon.

Also I can't decide between 6K or 8K HID. I have 6K now and to me it's a little bit too white and I want a little bit more blue but Im afraid 8K will be too blue and ugly, especially in a projector. Opinions?

What you're trying to do can be accomplished with diodes. You'd just need to make sure they're rated to handle at least double the current going through them. If you have to ask which ones to get, how they work or how to wire them, just buy a conversion harness. Given your previous problems getting a relay to work, this isn't something to tackle if you don't know what you're doing.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
just buy a conversion harness. Given your previous problems getting a relay to work, this isn't something to tackle if you don't know what you're doing.

He just say it nice and clear, buy the Conversion harness and be done with it. B)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here is the problem I see with this plan,
Your bulbs and harnesses have three conductors, one of which is a common... Lighting up both filaments results in the "common" carrying the combined current of the high and of the low. (it wasn't designed to do so, otherwise it would have been a larger gauge). I'd rather not do this, might end up with a dark ride home one night.

*(conversion harness notwithstanding).

·
Registered
49 Posts
headlights dim at night

i notice my head lights dim then come back to full brightsness at night when im sitting there waiting for car to idle down after first starting it ... i also notice the rpms fluxuate when i put on the turn signals or emergency flashers, is this normal. inbox me your responses, tks

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
i notice my head lights dim then come back to full brightsness at night when im sitting there waiting for car to idle down after first starting it ... i also notice the rpms fluxuate when i put on the turn signals or emergency flashers, is this normal. inbox me your responses, tks
Please refrain from posting new problems in a existing thread. If you're having a problem and can't find the answer you seek on the site, please start a thread so that the entire community can comment and learn.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
I just stick something behind flash to pass to force both high's and lows. But without a harness that upgrades the wiring + does this for you it won't last for long.

I am considering buying one of those upgraded harnesses myself, Having high and lows on at the same time work out for me esp since id rather see the deer and pedestrians on some of the country roads I drive on. Safety vs Cost.. I also have Driving / Fog lights installed..
I believe running both for too long will damage the plugs. Old plugs are usually head discolored by normal heat and only a blip of dual heat.

-chart-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing