Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So during some regular maintenance on the SHO today (including draining the oil... out of the spark plug wells :angryfire: ) I decided that it was time to clean the K&N panel. I have a Fram paper filter in there now while I'm doing this.
I've cleaned the filter, and it's air drying right now. I'm planning on oiling it tomorrow sometime when it's completely dry, but I'm not sure of how much to oil. I don't want to not oil it enough, but I don't want to saturate it to the point that oil wicks off and onto the hot wire in my MAF. That would be bad. :(

Anyone have any insight on this one? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
IIRC, they mentioned somewhere that "lightly moistened" was the correct dosage. :neutral:

Whatever the hell that means. I'd give it one light coat, a misting, let that sit for a minute, then give one moderate coat on both sides. Should be plenty, as long as the paper looks saturated.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
PS: Check your PM's lately? How 'bout it?

postcount++ :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Just leave a thin coat, and only do it once. It doesnt need alot of oil to grab the dust.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Originally posted by TrueBlue@May 26 2004, 06:04 PM
IIRC, they mentioned somewhere that "lightly moistened" was the correct dosage. :neutral:

Whatever the hell that means. I'd give it one light coat, a misting, let that sit for a minute, then give one moderate coat on both sides. Should be plenty, as long as the paper looks saturated.
I've been told by a Ford Tech not to oil both sides. If you do, oil will get everywhere and on the MAF sensor. Even when you lightly oil the front side some oil does go through but not as much.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
According to the directions you should:

"Spray evenly along each pleat holding nozzle about 3" away. DO NOT spray in circular motion. Let air filter stand for 20 minutes and respray any visible white spots."

Having just done this three days ago (and previously on past filters) I found the best way was to follow the first part of the directions, "Spray evenly along each pleat holding nozzle about 3" away. DO NOT spray in circular motion.“ I do this on both sides of the filter. I then prefer to wait at least 30 mins since it seems to take longer then 20 mins to really soak in. Then like the directions say if there are any white spots respray them and let it dry again.

Just to be safe before I install the filter I tap the filter on a piece of cardboard, rag or paper towel (the cardboard works best) to knock free any oil that hasn't soaked in. I do this on both sides of the filter. If a decent amount ends up on the cardboard then I let it sit a bit longer before I install it and then repeat the tapping before installing just to check. Then obviously wipe any excess from the rubber edges before installing. Hope that all made sense.

I can't prove it, but I figure that if no oil comes off when you tap it against the cardboard then it's unlikely that any will come off and end up on the MAF wire (which as you said would be BAD). It hasn’t done me wrong so far. Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I went with the ******* on this one (not that I usually follow the advice of a ******* :p ). However, for safe measure, I picked up a can of electrical contact cleaner and will be inspecting and cleaning the MAF hot wire bi-weekly for the next 2 months, just to be sure.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. I owe you all a beer. :thumb:

Tom, I checked my PM's. I'm more than likely working that Sun, but I'll see until what time... Norwalk isn't but 45 minutes from me. :)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X@May 27 2004, 08:34 PM
Well, I went with the ******* on this one (not that I usually follow the advice of a *******  :p ).
Hey, were not all bad. :) It just happens that people tend to hear about the "bad" ******** more often then the good ones. B)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X@May 27 2004, 09:55 PM
It's the media, I'm telling you! :lol:
Bingo, you hit the nail right on the head :lol2:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by Racer X@May 27 2004, 08:34 PM
Well, I went with the ******* on this one (not that I usually follow the advice of a ******* :p ). However, for safe measure, I picked up a can of electrical contact cleaner and will be inspecting and cleaning the MAF hot wire bi-weekly for the next 2 months, just to be sure.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. I owe you all a beer. :thumb:

Tom, I checked my PM's. I'm more than likely working that Sun, but I'll see until what time... Norwalk isn't but 45 minutes from me. :)
To be honest with ya, I think we'll be there Friday night until Saturday around noonish. Keep ya posted. :thumb:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've used K&Ns on all my bikes for years, and I've found that except for the lightest misting, it's really easy to over-oil the filter.

Finally, I ended up oiling around the top of the filters, standing them on end, and let the oil run down the pleats. Even then, when I put them back in, I got poor throttle response and a little smoke until the excess was sucked out by the carbs.

In our cars, the MAF sensors wires are a potential problem. I've never tried to clean them, but I am *very* stingy on the oil. I can always check it every other day for a few days, rather than over oil it.

Somebody had mentioned spraying the wires with some kind of cleaner, but I'm not sure of a benign one, or the down side of a little cleaner gettting in the intake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts