Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I have a huge tranny leak, so I took the SHO to Mr. Transmission because I got sick (literally, with a cold - still have it, too) while trying to work on it all day and long into the cold nights, sometimes even while raining. That, and I just wanted someone else to deal with it for once lol.

Anyways, I asked the guy at the shop out of curiosity if they did custom jobs there, and his answer was yes. I then asked him how much they would charge to put a manual transmission in the SHO, and he said that it would probably be about $4000. Now, we all know that probably the cheapest swap done (on a V8 SHO, at least) was about $8000, twice as much as the ballpark estimate I got from Mr. Transmission. Of course, I don't have ANY money, so I didn't persue the possibility of having an MTX V8 SHO, but it did get the gears turning. Would it really be a $2000 difference between rebuilding a weak and tender AX4N and getting an MTX put in that is sure to be less problematic (and more fun at that)??

Just something to think about. When I get the money, I may actually tell them that I want the swap done. If it's really that cheap, then I think it would be worth it. Of course, I'd then have to get a tuner to get rid of that damn annoying 4k rev limiter... :glare:

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Who gave you the amount of $8,000?? Have you actually talked to the two people who have done the manual swap?

If you joined the V8 list an read up on these cars, you'll know that there was a long discussion already about the cost differences between a good ATX rebuild and an MTX swap, and it was determined that the costs would be about the same (~$3000-4000).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol I dunno where I got $8000 from, but I was dead asleep when I posted this.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Why is it soo expensive?

I do have experience performing an automatic to 5spd swap on a car before and I was also told almost 2000.00 or more to do it.

If you can get the transmission cheaply, like half off day at picknpull or something, everything else doesnt cost alot of dough.

the only issue I see for a MTX swap is the clutch / shifter assemby.

I put a 5spd in my 300ZX when my auto took a dump and got everything for under 600 bucks and installed it myself.

I would love to see a Geniii 5spd :p

Anything is possible with TIME and MONEY.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

Anything is possible with TIME and MONEY. [/b]

There are 3 running gen 3 MTX cars running around that I know of.
[/b][/quote]
its about to be four

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
[/b]

I want screen names now!!! OK H-town beat me to it, so who's the original 3? I can tell you this 200hp is crazy fast on a 5spd. the automatics make it feel like 125hp.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Kirk now owns Ryan Pasch's MTX SHO.

The first video is actually of Scott Krietemeyer's MTX SHO, not Ryan's. [/b]

What?? When did this happen (Kirk)?? I know Kirk got rid of the v8 G4, but I didn't know Ryan sold that MTX. I wanted that!

Edit: I edited my last post because that was Scott's v8 in the picture too. :blush:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

Anything is possible with TIME and MONEY. [/b]

[/b][/quote]
its about to be four
[/b][/quote]
Make that 5. If I like the Gen II MTX I'm hopefully gonna get running this weekend too much (oh yeah, forgot to mention - I got a new SHO) I'll sell my soul or something and drop the V8 off at Mr. Transmission again and tell them to have at it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts