Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 94 GL wagon, 130k, lost reverse, installing a rebuilt. What is the care of feeding of this transmission for the next "30' or 30 day guarantee"? Its summer, got a few hills to climb on the weekends, never tow anything. Speaking of 'hills' we're talking a 6% grade over 5 miles. Would you go 45mph and not push this torque monster, or pop it in cruise control and let er fly?

I'm looking for signs post mechanical work to watch for. Already replaced two motor mounts due to 45mph shudder. Trans blew out two weeks later. New VSS, new front clutch seal in Oct.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
One thing i would recommend would be to install an aux trans cooler and a magnefine inline filter now that you have a nice rebuilt trans installed. Those two things will help increase the life expectancy of your new transmission.

I'm not sure what driving normally would be for you but i would recommend just drive normally (no stomping on it) for about a 500 mile break-in period and then replacing the fluid after that 500 mile mark (not necessary but definitely doesn't hurt at all after breaking it in). But you don't have to baby it and drive 45mph or less. That was what i had done last time i had a tranny rebuilt (shops instructions) so hope that helps.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd definitely install the shift improver kit from Transgo. It is said to increase the life of these tranny's by a whole lot. Supposedly, they (Transgo) have engineered around some of Ford's mistakes and gotten far more reliability out of them.

Since it's a '94, is it the AXOD-E trans? There are some tubes at the bottom of the trans - you'll see 'em when you pull the pan off - that need to be re-routed. Ford sells this kit too, I think. It's basically two new tubes (IIRC), that put more trans fluid at the planetary gears where it's most needed, and chokes off some of the fluid flow to where the governer once was (now only needs to lube speedo gear).

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
The trans cooler will probably be around 45-60 depending if you go tube & fin or stacked plate design and the magnefine filter you can get for around 18. I'd recommend getting both from www.bulkpart.com, they have the lowest prices i have seen on these things.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check the trans fluid level often.

I just bought nice loooking a '91 wagon from a guy for $200. It was stalling when he put it in drive and he was advised that the rebuilt tarns that was put in 6 months previous had gone again.

There was no fluid on the stick so I put a quart in and drove it away. Taurus owners should always have a couple bottles of Mercon handy.

-jr

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
:lol2: I had the same thing with my Taurus, picked it up for $300, no fluid on the stick, trans slipping, won't go..... added fluid and drove away

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out the tranny fried "due to trans cooler being clogged". Guess I'll be advising others to check the cooler once in awhile. I've asked my mechanic to check all items in the past (looking for wear) but I guess checking a cooler isn't a normal maintenance item?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trans rebuilt update: a big difference in power, easy to get to 65, smooth shifting. Amazing difference after a rebuild. Makes me wonder how long the 'old' transmission was causing problems such as vibration at 45 mph, no hill climbing power etc. Added all your fine tips, my mechanic knows I'm on this forum and I appreciate the time everyone spent on my 94 GL wagon.

I am going to sell it after adding almost 2200$ into this car over a year. My lifestyle doesn't match the car. I windsurf the state, longer trips are the goal and with a soft transmission I just can't see this car lasting vs a sedan with a tiny trailer and a bigger engine. This car might last forever for a city driver...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trans rebuilt Part 2! Can't move the gear shifter on the steering wheel from Park! Oh man what is this time! The ignition switch was replaced not long ago, but the keys aren't perfect...hmmm

·
Registered
156 Posts
Man! what a stinker!
This could actually be something relatively simple. You can actually check on the shifting mechanism by opening the hood, turn on the car, and with the parking brake engaged, try to move the shifter. Look into the engine compartment where the transmission is, on the driver's side right behind the engine, and as you try to move the column shifter, see if the corresponding mechanism on the tranny is moving. If it's not, it could be a simple mechanical block/broken joint somewhere between the steering column and where the rod enters the top of the transmission. This may not make a bit of sense, but I've had to do the same thing when my reverse lights wouldn't come on. You can see where the column shifter's rod assembly connects to the transmission.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is why I love this forum. My mechanic can be over in an hour, and I get a response in the Forum in less than that. Too bad I don't love this GL wagon!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So egg on my face, turns out a 15 amp fuse blew, no brake lights was a clue. Guess you can get the car started if you turn the key, while in Neutral, don't let the engine lights come on, get in into drive and be OK. Wish I knew all these tricks in advance..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the stinker continues! Short 'under the dash' to be continued, mechanic can't find it after 5hrs of working hard. Couple thousand wires under the dash...so I'm driving without brake lights expecting a cop to chase me down...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts