Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure this is in the right place.

hey guys, just got a 2013 ford taurus sel with 155k miles
did these come with a rear backup camera?

anything to look out for?

·
Registered
2013 SEL
396 Posts
The 2013 came with a backup camera if you also got navigation. 2014, the camera was standard.

If you have the beepers, I prefer them anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2013 came with a backup camera if you also got navigation. 2014, the camera was standard.

If you have the beepers, I prefer them anyway.
was it an add on? there is a camera at the plate holder. but nothing comes on when your backing up.

could yall tell me what to look for on these cars.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would say that if it is on the plate holder, it is an aftermarket unit and you're missing the monitor. It may be app based but you would have to do some research on the make/model of the camera to be sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would say that if it is on the plate holder, it is an aftermarket unit and you're missing the monitor. It may be app based but you would have to do some research on the make/model of the camera to be sure.
is there any way to add the factory backup camera?

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
6 speed - 6F50N transmission.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
6 speed - 6F50N transmission.
ok thanks, mine has the select shift on the gear shift. with the plus and miuns button. and it only goes to 5 gear.is this right or is something screwed up?

also can anyone tell me where i can find all the info on all fluids? like oil,transmission,diff and so on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ Fluid specs/capacities/change intervals are in the owners manual, the "unread" Bible, lol.
really. went through it and didnt see anything about fluid specs.

thanks,

other questions.

what dose the dash display? all mine shows in information is coolant. then shows admin key 1 and mykey and admin key 2

·
Registered
212 Posts
Congrats on your Taurus!! These are great cars.

Send pics of your trunk. The ford emblem on the chrome molding will be thicker and have a place at the bottom for a camera if it was originally equipped with one. It’s not hard to change out. A good used on from a salvage yard would be $75-125. Car-part.com

The manual has a section “capacities and specifications” for fluid types and amounts. I recommend ignoring the oil change interval in the book. Go 4-5k miles, any reputable full synthetic at Walmart you’ll find a great price. It’ll take 6 quarts. So I buy an extra 5-quart jug and then use 1 quart out of it each oil change, b/c it’s cheaper than the single one quarts by far. Use the Motorcraft oil filters, they’re well made.

At 155k, if a tune up hasn’t been done, you’ll want to do that. Pull one coil, and remove one plug, and send us a pic. We’ll let you know if it needs a tune up, and walk you through the procedure, and tools needed. Ignition Coils (DG-520s) plus Motorcraft iridium plugs (Sp-580) would be good, at that mileage. Upper intake manifold comes off to remove those back three coils and plugs so replace the upper intake manifold gasket. That’s cheap to buy too.

Is the coolant between the cold fill and max lines?

A transmission drain and fill is an easy job. Get an 11mm (12-point) wrench, open the plug. You’ll likely measure 5qts that comes out. Get a trans funnel and add 5 new Motorcraft Mercon LV quarts. I’d recommend doing this a second time after putting 300-500 miles on it. That’ll freshen up the trans. Don’t have a flush done. Regarding the 5-6 gear, so if you put it in “S” select shift, and you hit “+” at 45+ mph, it won’t go into 6? Will it just blink the “5”? If so, 6th may not be usable. If so, that’s actually not the end of the world, you can run her on 5, just cruising the highway, you’ll be at 3k rpm, not much of a gas mileage concern really. And if you go to punch it and pass someone, it’ll be more responsive in 5th anyway.

How does the suspension handle for you? These Taurus cars like to “eat” sway bar end links (aka stabilizer links). They’re an easy change out (21mm top/bottom closed end spanner needed, especially for the bottom one due to clearance - buy a ratcheting 21 mm spanner. The sway bar end links are very affordable on RockAuto. The rear ones require 15-17mm wrenches. They’re smaller but cost more for some reason. I recommend buying new fasteners - they have the nylon locking feature. You can reuse them if you throw some medium duty loctite threadlocker on the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the info smitty

i haven't pulled a plug yet,still have to do that.

the coolant is at the bottom of the reservoir and it is clear with a green tint, i read in the owners manual that it calls for pre-deluded orange coolant,so this has me a little worried.

transmission i haven't checked yet either, going to check this tomorrow. and about the sport mode shifting, i wasnt going all that fast when i tryed to shift to 6th, many 35mph.ill have to check this when i get the fluids changed.

as for suspension.i dont hear or feel anything weird. it holds the turns pretty good. but i haven't really pushed it yet.

as for the backup camera, dose it already have the wiring for it in the car? or would i need the harness to? i have checked the trunk emblem and it dose not have the camera in it.

also, did these cars come with a key fob?

also dose the dash tell you about oil pressure? all i can get up on the dash is the coolant temp.

thanks for the info.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You’re welcome, T. Regarding the green coolant in your reservoir, since you have a 13, this is cause for concern. Someone put the wrong kind in. Orange and green coolant are not compatible. I recommend a full system flush and refill with Motorcraft Orange. Yes, your 6th gear won’t let you kick in until you’re at least 42-45mph (on level or downhill, not under load). Regarding backup cam, no, the harness won’t be there then. I’m not sure about retrofit, but it might be a big to-do.. you won’t get oil pressure on your dash. Yes, you should have a key fob (two actually).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You’re welcome, T. Regarding the green coolant in your reservoir, since you have a 13, this is cause for concern. Someone put the wrong kind in. Orange and green coolant are not compatible. I recommend a full system flush and refill with Motorcraft Orange. Yes, your 6th gear won’t let you kick in until you’re at least 42-45mph (on level or downhill, not under load). Regarding backup cam, no, the harness won’t be there then. I’m not sure about retrofit, but it might be a big to-do.. you won’t get oil pressure on your dash. Yes, you should have a key fob (two actually).

when i got the car,it only came with a key with a chip in it. how hard is it to get a key fob for it? and would you know the cost?

also, would it be safe to flush the coolant system out with a water hose? or no?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
welp,looks like i bought a paper weight. there coolant leaking from around the alternator.its not leaking all the time, but just found it this morning.

·
Registered
2013 Limited
3 Posts
Congrats and welcome! Keep an eye out for h2o pump failure...
???? I have had an antifreeze leak for some time now.....Is this what your talking about ( keep an eye On the water pump ? or are there other signs ? 109k miles now

1 - 20 of 24 Posts