Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody remember my two beautiful HE2s. I killed them coming from Maryland to my new temporary home of Connecticut. They ran good for about 2.5 almost 3 hours but they stopped without warning. There is no sign of amp failure and since the amps are cheap, i'm pretty sure the amps killed the subs. Does anyone have any suggestions on what subs i should get. I have two 15" boxes athat are 2.4 cu.ft. and two cheap amps that are rated at avery optimistic 1200 watts each.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am sure you already did this but just in case did you check fuses on the amp. I know my big sony amp has not only power fuses but also fuses that blow when it's overloading the sub to protect the sub from blowing. It also has an auto-cutoff when it's overdriven. You might also want to go to a stereo shop and see if they will let you hook the subs up to a different amp and listen to them to make sure that's the problem and it's not a problem with the amps. Just a thought.

Robert

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i should have them check to make sure. By the way i also noticed that different brands are popular in different areas. Like in Maryland Rockfords are considered decent while up here in connecticut the guys at the shop looked at me like i was crazy and suggested i get either memphis or pioneer. Also, a guy from boston told me to drop the 15s and get one 13.5" JL W7.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I agree...it definitely doesn't sound like you just simply blew the subs. You'd know if they blew. You'd hear like a loud pop and then either constant crakling or nothing. You probably just blew a fuse. There should be one in your power wire near the battery (if it was installed correctly) and there should be at least one on each amp (not sure how many you have). My Infinity amp has one 30 amp fuse on the amplifier itself, and a 35 amp fuse in a case near the battery.

Check those and get back to us. Also, if you don't see any fuses blown, you might have overheated the circuitry inside the amps and blown them. The subs might be fine. Find someone else with an amp and get them to hook their amp up to your subs.

JR

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Get an ohm meter and and test them. I had two Rockford HE's (same as urs just SVC) I beat them up prtty good, but it was clean power... Could you smell them burning? If you couldn't smell anything, then maybe its your amplifier, but even if that woulda fried it probably woulda stank.

Good luck, that always sucks when systems go bad.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
It really depends on the area and what the popular stores choose to sell in that area. Around me, Rockfords are thought of as shite, and JLs and Infinity are all the rage. Out in Philly, everyone loves Rockford and Pioneer. I don't give a damn what the people in my area think about what sounds good, it's up to me to decide what's best for my car. Infinity sounded good and fit my price range, so that's what I have.

JR

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the fuses (1 30amp fuse on each amp and 60amp main fuse). I could have killed the amp, but i used a test light and still got a strong signal from the power and speaker terminals on the amp and at the ends of the speaker wire. One flaw in this is that i still have no other sub to reference my results with. Also, when the amp gets overheated there should be some type of burnt smell. I have both my amps mounted in an enclosure with 2 intake and two exhaust fans each (8 fans total) so i don't know how much that factors out overheating.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more thing, each 'side' of my system which consists of one amp one sub and one cap is isolated from the other 'side' except for the distribution of power wires and patch cables. So in theory any mechanical failure including overheating probably didn't happen at the same time.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Okay, suppose the amps are still good. The subs would have to get really, really hot before they blew... You would have smelled something.... Did you smell anything wierd at this point in time when the subs blew? all your wires are installed still, like nothing possibly came loose?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Don't know then...I would definitely take out the amp and the subs and have them all bench tested at a car audio shop. They'll be able to tell you what's wrong better than we can (although they'll charge and we're nothing more than a bunch of free ******... :lol2: ).

JR

·
Registered
370 Posts
Test your speakers with a 9 Volt battery, you dont ned an OHM meter at all. If you touch your speaker wires from the speakers to the ends of the 9 V battery you will hear a crackling sound if the speaker is good and NOTHING if its bad. You then would know if the amp was fried. Some amps have a built in heat protection like my Orions, they will automatically shut off before they overheat.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by spy2520@Sep 9 2004, 09:37 AM
Anybody remember my two beautiful HE2s. I killed them coming from Maryland to my new temporary home of Connecticut. They ran good for about 2.5 almost 3 hours but they stopped without warning.
subs ALWAYS give warning before they blow, long before they blow ;) . if they just went out without any warning signs, i would have to say that your problem lies elsewhere.

before a sub goes it will sound like ass, start bottoming out, and if you were playing it as long as you were then you would have smelled the coils warming up(its a beautiful smell :) ).

if you are still looking for suggestions for new subs though, check out www.stereointegrity.com , www.reaudio.com , or check out some stereo forums for used woofers, you can find great deals on them and i have seem alot of good speakers for sale lately :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
In a couple of weeks I will be moving my sub out of my old car and into the Taurus. I use Kicker Solo-Barics, 8 inch square with a Sony X-Plod 800w amp. That gives me all the BUMP I need. Sounds like you are a little more into rolling down the road without the engine running than I am however. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My amps turn off before overheating, too. But they seem to be fine, with the subs hooked up i get no sound from them. A blown sub would still make some sort of sound if it were hooked up, right? And i didn't smell anything burning at all.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have never blown a sub but I have blown plenty of regular speakers, and when I played bass guitar blew out a pair of JBL 15's and yes they still make a crackling sound when they are blown. That may not be the case for a sub. I know in my case when I was hooking it up that if it didn't have enough power driving it it wouldn't make any sound. I am sure someone will have a more intelligent answer than I.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
try hooking a speaker up your amp with the gains down low and see if you get any ouput. It sounds it's a problem with your amp, I would focus my attention on that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Originally posted by beamout@Sep 9 2004, 04:38 PM
I have never blown a sub but I have blown plenty of regular speakers, and when I played bass guitar blew out a pair of JBL 15's and yes they still make a crackling sound when they are blown. That may not be the case for a sub. I know in my case when I was hooking it up that if it didn't have enough power driving it it wouldn't make any sound. I am sure someone will have a more intelligent answer than I.
You can tell if the Sub is blown or not by hooking the speaker up to a 9v battery. If the sub is shot it wont make any sound when thes speaker wires are touched to the battery. If the Sub is good you will hear a crackling sound and means the speaker is good because the 9V acts as a load on the speaker. This is simply a way to test the speakers to see if they are indeed shot or if the amp is bad. He is getting NO sound from his set up now. Hope this clears up my previous post.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got the local shop to diagnose. Everything is fine except the subs. The guy suggested i get some subs with an RMS closer to 200w instead of 500w. He said the subs have less chance of blowing if they are not underpowered.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by spy2520@Sep 10 2004, 07:47 PM
I just got the local shop to diagnose. Everything is fine except the subs. The guy suggested i get some subs with an RMS closer to 200w instead of 500w. He said the subs have less chance of blowing if they are not underpowered.
umm... the shop you went to is staffed by morons, dont listen to anything they say.

seriously

underpowering a speaker doesent do any harm. if the sales person you talked to knew his ass from a hole in the ground he would have said something about your amp clipping, and he wouldnt have said anything about underpowering. and if it was a case of your amp clipping, then you need to set your gains properly.

im serious when i say go to another shop...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've actually heard somewhere that underpowering subs causes them to distort and eventually blow, i don't know though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts