Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a quick question, It says my tps is at 18 when i dont touch gas peddle. Is that normal. I seem to be getting sucky gas mileage thats why i got the gauge. I think i need a new tps. What do everyone else think

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
18% ? sounds like you need to clean the throttle body first, but 18% would cause a high-idle condition (If it were the real reading) it's possible that you might need a new TPS. to check it KOEO (Key on Engine off) slowly depress the throttle and monitor the readings of the TPS, they should be smooth and not have any peaks or jumps in numbers. So just an example it should go 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 or 18, 20, 22, 24 - you know a gradual progression of numbers not 18, 14, 21, 34, 19.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
18% is right on the money for closed throttle %. TPS voltage is not zero with throttle closed, it is around .8 - .9 V or so. If TPS voltage was zero at closed throttle, scan tool would show 0%, which indicates a problem.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
According to The Service manual your voltage / % goes like this....
(Clockwise)
20% = 1.00v
40% = 1.97v
60% = 2.95v
80% = 3.95v
96.6% (WOT) = 4.65v

(Counterclockwise)
0 = 1.0v
-20 = 1.95v
-40 = 2.95v
-60 = 3.93v
-76.8 (WOT) = 4.65v

Hope that helps if you still want to test it out seeing that 18% is normal I would just verify opperation now that you have your scan guage :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yup my SG2 says 18 at idle as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know any x-gauge codes that work on the 98 taurus engine code u vulcan engine. I tried a few and they didn't work. Also my engine temp while driving around is around 190. DOes that sound normal. I think thats a lil low.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Also my engine temp while driving around is around 190. DOes that sound normal. I think thats a lil low.
Your engine operating temperature is directly related to what thermostat you have installed. If you think the temperature gauge is off, get an infrared thermometer gun from Harbor Freight and check right next to the temperature sensor.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Does anyone know any x-gauge codes that work on the 98 taurus engine code u vulcan engine. I tried a few and they didn't work. Also my engine temp while driving around is around 190. DOes that sound normal. I think thats a lil low.
The scan gauge website has a list of x-gauge codes that work that can be downloaded for Ford products.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts