Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a real high performance converter from Eastern. This cat is redesigned for perfect fitment on my Duratec. It uses the correct shape and sized catalyst, low density 200 cpi oval metal substrate. All I need to do now is get it installed. After that, I'll need to get me a SCT tune.

Because they had to rebuild a new cat based on a sample (I sent them an OEM cat because their old part# didn't look right and didn't have the hangar brackets), it took longer than just ordering a part from them. Also because they don't normally make this part with the higher performance catalyst, it had to wait until their next production run. I will let you know how the install goes.

Just to be clear, the converters that are already on the market for the Taurus are not high performance cats, they use the same 400 cpi ceramic substrate as stock. The stock converter also has a larger cross section, which means more flow. So most the aftermarket converters thought to be high flow are actually more restrictive than stock. Because the aftermarket catalyst is almost always smaller, it doesn't absorb as much sound, resulting in a slightly louder sound in some cases, which is often mistaken for a performance increase. I wanted a real performance cat. In order to do that, the cell density must actually change.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No interest in a catless. I wouldn't run without a cat even if I lived where emissions wasn't required. I don't like my cars to stink, plus I've had a brother get carbon monoxide poisoning from a car.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pipe of the Magnaflow is better than stock, but their cats are smaller than the stock ones and use the same 400 CPI density. Hate to break it to everyone, but the Magnaflow is actually a downgrade from stock in terms of airflow. They also have the same incorrect bends in the front pipe that Eastern's old design had which is why I sent them a new OEM sample so they could redesign it correctly. The Magnaflow design puts the front cat too close to the engine. I know because I've seen them on cars before. I will send pictures of my setup on the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts