Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 95 GL Vulcan / AXODE for free! My 88 year old mother finially deceided to stop driving, which, believe me, is a GOOD thing. My parents bought the car new in 95 ,and I have maintained it since it was new.... well, what they would let me do, anyways. My dad (passed away 2.5 years ago at 85) was not a car person, and not mechanically inclined at all. He did not believe in preventative maintanance at all. His feeling: if it runs OK, dont do anything to it. Because of that, it has never had the ATF changed, Oil was only changed once a year or 2 and coolant every 3 to 4 years at my insistance. Brake fluid is original. All hoses are original except one that split about 6 years ago that I replaced. All ignition components are original as well. Heck, it was all I could do to convince him to have me replace a broke rear sway bar link years ago. He said he "didnt mind the clunking". Fuel filter is original, as he wouldnt fork up the $10 for the part since it "ran fine".

The good...... Get this.... only 42K miles!!!! (parents were old when they bought it and only drove to church, doctors, food store, to see friends close by, etc) Everything works.... AC (had to replace the CCPS about 7 years ago), windows, keyless entry, remote entry, power seat, etc, etc. Tires have over 1/2 their life left. Totally rust free too! Interior is like new. I replaced the battery 2 years ago when the 9 year old one finially gave up and it wouldnt start.

The bad.... see above.... nearly everything is original, and I need to replace all hoses, serp belt, filters, all fluids, ignition components etc. No big deal, just a little time consuming and some $$. No tach.... I havent owned a car with no tach in 25 years. A trip to the JY for a Sable cluster will fix this problem whenever I get around to it. The baseAM/FM/Cassette audio system works, but sounds HORRIBLE. I have a 6 or so year old 200 W Sony head unit and 10 disk CD changer in the basement that will take care of that. I think I have some old aftermarket speakers around to replace the factory junk also. Those 42K original miles were hard miles, driven 1 to 5 miles at a time. I dont think it has seen freeway miles in years.

The ugly.... A few serious door dings, and lots of scrapes on the front and rear bumper covers from hitting parking barriers, signs, (and who knows, other parked cars). Pass mirrior has a bad scrape on the outer edge probably from hitting a concrete pillar in a parking garage.

What will I do with it? Probably keep it and use it for a "worst of winter" car, or spare car when one or more of the other cars (see sig) is down for some major repairs.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Cool! Sounds like it needs some lovin' but it's a great starting point and the price was right.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I remember you posting about this car awhile back Jeff. Good luck with it...keep the threads up to date with what you end up doing on it, definitely interested in seeing what happens if you can!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts