Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just got a 95 SHO MTX with 105k. I have bought many used cars so I plan on changing the oil, trans fluid, flush the cooling system, check alignment and suspension parts, and I know the car might need the valve adjustment Is there anything sho related I should check?
Thanks, Tom

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Hi All,
I just got a 95 SHO MTX with 105k. I have bought many used cars so I plan on changing the oil, trans fluid, flush the cooling system, check alignment and suspension parts, and I know the car might need the valve adjustment Is there anything sho related I should check?
Thanks, Tom
[/b]
you should check the full throttle switch and make sure that is working properly. after that buy one of these kits http://videos.streetfire.net/video/ae3d307...a000170e843.htm

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I would perform a full 60k. Replace the timing belts, CPS, Spark plugs, plug wires, adjust the valves. While the intake is off, I would replace all the couplings and clean the intake with purple clean and brushes. Since maintenance is fairly expensive on these cars many owner neglect to do the maintenance. You may want to consider replacing the O2 sensors too.

Bob

·
Registered
232 Posts
Six years ago there was a story in the Detroit newspaper about a number of SHO owners that were ticked off because a systematic problem with the engine resulted in a $6000 repair bill. It turns out the problem was poor welds of the cam sprocket to the cam. When the welds let go it wiped out the interference engine. I don't know if this has been discussed on this site.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,048 Posts
Six years ago there was a story in the Detroit newspaper about a number of SHO owners that were ticked off because a systematic problem with the engine resulted in a $6000 repair bill. It turns out the problem was poor welds of the cam sprocket to the cam. When the welds let go it wiped out the interference engine. I don't know if this has been discussed on this site. [/b]
That's only the V8 SHO, 96-99

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
<div class='quotemain'> Six years ago there was a story in the Detroit newspaper about a number of SHO owners that were ticked off because a systematic problem with the engine resulted in a $6000 repair bill. It turns out the problem was poor welds of the cam sprocket to the cam. When the welds let go it wiped out the interference engine. I don't know if this has been discussed on this site. [/b]
That's only the V8 SHO, 96-99

[/b][/quote]

And it isn't the result of poor welds. The problem is there aren't any welds at all - the cam sprockets are pressed on the shafts. The fix is to weld the sprockets to the shafts.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for straightening out this information. I've since searched this problem on the 'net and find lots of info on it, including on this site.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
and also.... thats a sweet lookin SHO!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the compliments! I've wanted one since I was a teenager and they were new. It's been hard to find a decent one with a 5-speed, most i see are the auto. I'll take all the stuff into account as I check the car out, and I do intend to do the valve adjustment. I'm pretty anal about my cars so I am sure I will thurough.

This will be my 3rd Taurus, 1st was a 92 LX, in Caribean Green. I wish I had kept that car, but oh well.

Thanks for the advice all!

I would perform a full 60k. Replace the timing belts, CPS, Spark plugs, plug wires, adjust the valves. While the intake is off, I would replace all the couplings and clean the intake with purple clean and brushes. Since maintenance is fairly expensive on these cars many owner neglect to do the maintenance. You may want to consider replacing the O2 sensors too.

Bob
[/b]
when you say replace the couplings, are you speaking of the parts that change the intake runners from short to long?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts