Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1998 duratec and i just but on flowmaster 40s and it sounds good but when i excelerate it sounds ricy. is there any thing i can do no to have it sound so ricy.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
is your resonator still there? i didnt have any rasp with my gen 4 duratec with flow 40's but the gen 3's do tend to sound a bit raspier think its something to do with the cam profiling and the gen 4's have another cat.

when theres rasp you can always get a bigger resonator, just get a magnaflow resonator thats longer or wider than your current stocky.

ALSO, i would let the mufflers break in some of the rasp might go away because flowmaster have about a 1 month break in period depending on how you drive.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
well adding a bigger resonator is going to make it quieter. you could go with a larger body and the same size length or go longer with the same size body either will kill the rasp.

i have a 30" magnaflow resonator, with NO 3 rd cat and no muffler, and theres barely any rasp.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's the nice thing about the Vulcans, not nearly as much rasp :).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Too many people go with the 40's when the 60's would sound better.

·
Registered
223 Posts
People like them. If they liked 60s they would get 60s.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think they think they are going to get a big block sound out of them. The 60's are made for smaller displacement engines/vehicles.

**You also get less interior resonance in the vehicle. But I guess when I was younger I didn't really care about that stuff.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (ZZman @ May 24 2009, 12:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727602
I think they think they are going to get a big block sound out of them. The 60's are made for smaller displacement engines/vehicles.

**You also get less interior resonance in the vehicle. But I guess when I was younger I didn't really care about that stuff.[/b]
People ask if i have and SHO V8 under the hood. They are shocked when i tell them its just a Vulcan.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Well the y-pipe is loose on my SHO right now and it sounds like a Muscle Car*

*Note - This is if your retarded, if you know anything, you will just be like "DAYUMMMM EXHAUST LEAK!" :thumb:

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
QUOTE (ZZman @ May 24 2009, 08:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727579
Too many people go with the 40's when the 60's would sound better.[/b]
Agreed. The higher number Flowmasters do a tremendous job of mellowing out the exhaust note. The 80 series on a r18 (latest gen civic) 4-cyl sounds gorgeous. Very refined.

The 40 series are great for giving cars that throaty "muscle car" sound, which neither the duratec or vulcan seem to really possess. I'm NOT saying they sound bad, but it's certainly not the sound I'd go for on a relatively low-revving v6.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm enjoying the sound that my muffler is giving me now that it seems to be broken in. everyone says it sounds like a 3000gt or almost like a g35 :lol2: just what i was looking for. sure dual exhaust would've been fun and all but i don't think i could've dealt with the extra noise inside the car.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
QUOTE (animex2 @ May 24 2009, 05:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727644

*Note - This is if your retarded, if you know anything, you will just be like "DAYUMMMM EXHAUST LEAK!" :thumb:[/b]
My car has a loud whine at 3k rpms i think of it as a blow off valve :lol2:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (GUN SHO @ May 27 2009, 10:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728492
QUOTE (animex2 @ May 24 2009, 05:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727644

*Note - This is if your retarded, if you know anything, you will just be like "DAYUMMMM EXHAUST LEAK!" :thumb:[/b]
My car has a loud whine at 3k rpms i think of it as a blow off valve :lol2:
[/b][/quote]

My Friend's fusion sounds like it has a turbo in it... its sounds like a jet engine on a cold morning..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts