Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...Just got a 24v with 125k and was wondering about a few things...If you can help that would be great!
First this is my first 24v I have wanted one for a while...

Please tell me things I need to watch out for...if this is a bad year I can dump this car i got it cheap.

1) the sunroof will tilt up but wont open...and when I try to close it it seems like its about 1/8" from closing tight in the back...dont know if it leaks yet.

2) It looks like it the original water pump how much longer will it last on avg...and are the pulleys for the drive belt about shot too with the miles?

3) the Passenger headlight is busted...and it does not work. Do i just need to buy the whole thing? or does it come in parts?

4) like I said before...if you know of any probs i need to know about please yell! thanks!

Oh just remembered...mine is a purple color...does anyone know what its called...I could use a new hood! or pain the one I have..thanks

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
You just bought a car pretty much identical to my '96 Taurus LX. My sunroof tilts but won't open: one of the tilt brackets is broken (they're plastic) prohibiting slide, need junkyard parts to fix it; my water pump is at 151k, need to replace it soon, it's howling, pulleys are good until they make a racket, usually; the headlight is a 1 piece assembly that can be had used or aftermarket fairly inexpensive, think junkyard or E-Bay. My engine purrs like a kitty and my transmission shifts flawlessly, Duaratecs (24v) run forever with just a little regular maintenance. Good luck. (PS- I have a shiteload more rust than you, too.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Dan! what about the color? any guesses?
I know I need to change the tranny fluid...I dont have a clue if the tranny has been replaced...I have had 3 trannys drop out before 100k si I am well versed in them! lol

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Color of what? My Taurus is called "Moonlight Blue". Tranny fluid should be red, coolant should be changed every 3 years, there is a coolant pipe/hose assembly that rots out under the engine that can be replaced for $20, not a $160 part. The tranny is the AX4N, same as in the V8 SHO for G3's, just do fluid maintenance on it as per in Our Topic Finder at the top of this page. This is THE FORUM for tips and tricks to make your Sable live a long life.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry! my car is purpleish..I did not know if you knew what that was? anyway thanks for the e-bay info..I just ordered a new headlight!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Oh wow! You are the owner of a rare '96 only paint job from the factory called "Rose Mist", with a Tec, no less! I'm jealous! I owned a 96 Taurus GL (12v pushrod Vulcan engine) that same color. It is a "photochromatic" paint that can appear to change colors in different lighting, from pale pink to Barbie purple. It can appear to have gold highlights in it, in the right light. The rarest Taurus was a 96 SHO in Rose Mist. My current DD is my first Tec too, and I can never give back the extra 55 ponies I got over a Vulcan now, but I do miss "Rosie's" paint job. (PS: I'd put a stock spoiler on it, if it was mine, looks badass.)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hey Garth. Knoxville. There is a member on here that works @ Pull A Part of Knoxville.

What is the paint code on your VIN sticker in the door jamb. Should be under the words "EXT PNT" or something like that, a 2 character code.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Hey Garth. Knoxville. There is a member on here that works @ Pull A Part of Knoxville.

What is the paint code on your VIN sticker in the door jamb. Should be under the words "EXT PNT" or something like that, a 2 character code.
Nick, the paint code on a Rose Mist can be lame, from my own experience. Mine read as MG, possibly Toreador Red, but she was clearly Rose Mist, also MG. All of the reddish hues were tagged MG. There is supposed to be a delineating second letter after MG, but it isn't always there, this color was a 1 year freak show, remember. Should be GV for Rose Mist. ( Flashing back to when I first joined the TCCA and had the same question about my car's color. -Dan)

EDIT: http://www.ford-taurus.org/taurusinfo/Colors/index.php

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I have a '96 Sable with 172k miles, bought it at 85k. Let me share:
I changed the water pump and thermostat not even 500 miles ago. Shocks are on their way out, but still passed the inspection. One catalitic converter is "gone" (according to CEL and codes) - luckly here they don't require emissions. Changed the spark plugs at around 90k. I had to replace the transmission neutral safety switch (range sensor) recently. The oil pressure switch/sender was leaking oil thru the middle so I change it. I did drop the transmission pan and 130k and replaced the filter and filled with new fluid. The UIM passage for the EGR was cloggged at 130k miles (it throw a CEL). Some window switches needed replacement, some dashboard cluster bulbs, headlights needed to be polished to pass the inspection 3 years ago. Somebody scratched the side of the car and I found out that I cannot retouch it - the sparkly paint is "special" in some way (paint code FR4).

All in all, a good engine... And you have the most "gizmos" in that model, latter years they decided to cut costs.

LE: Corrected the EGR - danhausenauer was right.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Like SoNic said, it's an old car and needs some TLC. And he may have meant the passages for the EGR, not sure. It is a very strong engine/transmission combination for a Taurus/Sable for it's year. You may want to add an aftermarket trans cooler in series with your stock set-up, can't hurt. Take a little care of it on a regular basis, and you should have years of no new car payments for years to come. Those cars die from rust up here in the snow/salt belt, not cause they won't run.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok...well its not "under" the words "ext Pnt" its right next to it...its "TR" what does that mean?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok...so the water pump is ok for now!

ok...I guess I have to work on the A/C its does not turn on...maybe low freon...the heat works well! not use to that with my vulcans! they are always rusted shut!

this is a "LS" 4 door it even has the CD player in the trunk...so is there and easy fix for the sunroof?

I have the dreaded shake when i step on the brakes...dam rotors!

Oh forgot! I have a fullsize spare...all my others are donuts...did someone add that?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
In my Sable there is a donought. I did use it once.
Rotors? Yep, mine does that too, but not too bad yet...
As a fun fact - as far as i know, it is the only model that has a indicator bulb on dashboard for burned stop lights. As I said, latter they needed to cut costs and some of the gizmos got dropped.
Do you have two keys? I have just one - a spare one at dealer is expensive. And a shop that clones keys for 65$ couldn't clone my key... Newer key cips are maybe different?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I will be the first one to say it....Where's the pics???? :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Pics? lol...its looks are not good! I will go back and look for that paint code!

ok...lets try.."FA"

Hey both my 3rd brake light bulbs are out...Does anyone have the number for them...;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
ok......the heat works well! not use to that with my vulcans! they are always rusted shut!

this is a "LS" 4 door it even has the CD player in the trunk...so is there and easy fix for the sunroof?
The early Gen 3's weren't as configurable as the gen 1 and 2's were. ALL LS's had the Duratec and came with twin mufflers! ALL GS's had the Vulcan. Acually, the CD changer was a somewhat common option on both the Sable and Taurus. You were "lucky" if you got the single Cd player in a Gen 1/2.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pics? lol...its looks are not good! I will go back and look for that paint code!

ok...lets try.."FA"

Hey both my 3rd brake light bulbs are out...Does anyone have the number for them...;)
use this! Click me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts