Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. I was poking and proding around in my engine bay yesterday before I was gonna take the bra off and give Lilu a wash, when my hand brushed against a small hose in the engine bay. The engine was on, as I was listening for problems. The small hose broke it's joint, and EXTREMELY HOT antifreeze shot strait up, right into my right eye and cheek. I was able to escape with minimal burns, but the stupid pipe was broken. The new one I bought also seems flimsy, although I think the other one was weakened by age.

ANYWAY, If you are playing around in your engine bay, WATCH OUT for the little hose coming out of the joint below. Under pressure, it burst on me, and the replacement joint and hose section was 50 bucks! Plus, the burns suck too.

Have a great day! ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Oh yeah, had that hose on a '95 Duratec Contour, at least the Taurus has room to work on it. Mine had failed at about 85k and had to pay a guy about $100 to replace it had he had to take a bunch of stuff off to get to it.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
What is the name of this part? Does anyone know?

Im assuming the part is plastic? Or is it metal and just corroded?

Hope your eye is alright biteable.

-Damon

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, the plastic part is just a part of the whole assembly. The whole thing is the plastic joint, two hoses that are part of the plastic joint, and a small hose that pops onto a small extention on the top of the joint (as can be seen in the picture.)(btw, this small hose, the one in the picture, is also included in the hose/joint I got from the dealer) I had to take the accordian off to get to the hose joints, and had to somehow get a clamp off that was upside down (stupidest design ever), but it came off after about an hour of work. Putting it on was much easier, since I could orient the clamps as I wanted, but it wasn't an overall pleasant experience :)

On my reciept, the part no is "F6DZ 8584 BD", spaced like that, with description "HOSE -- BY". It's a dealer item, and I had to go to two dealers to find one.

And, I think my eye is fine :) The skin is a little pink, but the main pain was getting the wrench on those stupid spring clamps!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
God...I hope all is well with your eye...I've had stuff like that happen to me before while working on other cars, but never on my own.

When me and my buddy Mike changed the manifold (went from stock Chevy manifold and Rochester Quadrajet carb to an Edelbrock Performer mani and Edelbrock 650 cfm carb) on his old 86' Monte, we were trying to take the top of the manifold apart, after draining the coolant. While we were trying to break the bolts near the t-stat housing, my friend hit one of the hoses, and shot coolant into my eye. It wasn't hot, but it hurt like hell. I didn't go to the hospital though, and all is well now...

JR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts