Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an Idea for a RWD swap for our bulls. I know its in no way a new Idea but here goes. Modified Mustang front Clip, 8.8" Mustang Rearend, 4 Link Suspension, Use a Ford Ranger 3.0 Transmission or a 3.8 Mustang Tranny, Turn the 3.0/3.8 90 degrees and extend factory wiring harness to maintain the fuel map and Factory tuning.

I was wondering if it sounds good in theory ?

·
Registered
671 Posts
No. You'd need the 3.0 block out of a Ranger. Their vulcans have a different bolt pattern for the RWD bolt pattern.

A better RWD swap that I thought of, was to get a hold of the new 6F35 from a '09 Fusion or Taurus or whatever else it's in, get a computer from black-ridge.com, and rig it up for use. You'd still need a custom adapter plate to mount the 3.0, or find a way to rig up the 3.5 'tec that goes with it. Then block off the FWD outputs, mount a RWD transfer case, and run the driveshaft through the exhaust tunnel. Mount it up to a Mustang or Ranger driveshaft, or whatever else fits. Toyota? Doesn't matter.

Or don't block off the front outputs and have an AWD G1-4 taurus. This idea just saves you hacking up the firewall to mount a RWD transmission, and causing a ton of fabrication problems for the front, in addition to the ton of fabrication problems at the rear. Either way, you're looking at a ton of money & work.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Maybe. Some things might've changed. You'd be better off using the PCM out of a ranger. The PCM controlls the transmission function, so you could only keep yours if you threw a manual in.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I had an Idea for a RWD swap for our bulls. I know its in no way a new Idea but here goes. Modified Mustang front Clip, 8.8" Mustang Rearend, 4 Link Suspension, Use a Ford Ranger 3.0 Transmission or a 3.8 Mustang Tranny, Turn the 3.0/3.8 90 degrees and extend factory wiring harness to maintain the fuel map and Factory tuning.

I was wondering if it sounds good in theory ?
I have been working out a plan for this for quite a while, we should chat :lol2:

If you went RWD, toss a nice V8 in there. Just like the Focus swaps, who would want to keep the vulcan and a crappy ranger tranny if you're gonna go to the trouble of converting to RWD, the amount of fabrication for the installation of the engine alone, you might as well start with a V8.

No. You'd need the 3.0 block out of a Ranger. Their vulcans have a different bolt pattern for the RWD bolt pattern.
Pretty sure the only block difference between the ranger 3.0 and Taurus is headgaskets, they both use the same bolt pattern unlike the 3.8. Could be wrong.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Heads are actually different as the FWD blocks have Oil drains on each end of the head and a RWD only has them in the rear. well my only hold up for this conversion is planning and parts collecting .

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
The Heads are actually different as the FWD blocks have Oil drains on each end of the head and a RWD only has them in the rear. well my only hold up for this conversion is planning and parts collecting .
I lurk on the ranger forums, I know a ton about these engines and I can certainly say; there's no head or block difference from the ranger or taurus, just gaskets. Rebuilding The Ford 3.0L Engine

I still say V8. Forget the crappy transmission and ditch FWD. Lets have some serious power and a real transmission.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MAYBE IT WAS THE GASKETS THAT ALLOWED THE SECOND DRAIN HOLE? (sorry caps)

ok so ill use a V8 carb'd for ease of wiring .

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
MAYBE IT WAS THE GASKETS THAT ALLOWED THE SECOND DRAIN HOLE? (sorry caps)

ok so ill use a V8 carb'd for ease of wiring .
The after market of mustangs will help greatly with what you need. You could easily go computer controlled too, you just need the guts from a donor car or an after market computer system/harness possibly? Either way, the hard parts will be getting that dash working right, speedometer, AC/Heat, Temp, etc... Even if you go carbed, there's lots of wiring to figure out.

I would set a budget at about $6,000 for the engine, not counting computer or transmission. About $9,000 worth of parts and fabrication for the body, maybe another $6,000 for a bitchin' suspension, brake setup and exhaust. Then you'll be most of the way there. That's realistically what it would probably cost you, this is easily a $25,000 to $30,000 proposition. Then you'd have a killer 500HP Taurus with the manners of a modded mustang.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It's possible. There has been a number of G2 SHOs converted to RWD.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just 1 has been done: SHOForum
More: SHOForum
It is already dead.

It uses a TBird rear end.
Can't see the links, my account is still not fully activated.

Could of sworn there was more than one. Maybe it never got completed, but there was one using Mustang II components.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Can't see the links, my account is still not fully activated.

Could of sworn there was more than one. Maybe it never got completed, but there was one using Mustang II components.
Well then get activated!

This is the only one I have seen that is completed. There might be a 2nd one but it was never completed.

Never heard of one using Mustang II parts.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I heard that the FWD Vulcan uses a reverse flow cooling system vs. the conventional flow used on RWD Vulcans. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
If you're going to do this just go all in. Use the quad turbo W16 from a Bugatti Veyron. Mount it in the rear seat area and use it's AWD system. If you use the standard one it's 1001 hp. If you use the one from the SS model it's 1200 hp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts