Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to make a thank you thread for all those before me! B)
I replaced the bearings, ball joints, strut/springs and inner/outer tie rods this weekend. I did it all with the help of the previous write-ups and how-to's.
The only problem I had was my pre-planning. You need special tools for almost every item I installed! Bearings need a puller, ball joints need a BJ tool, inner tie rods need that funky wrench thingy. I forgot the inner tie rod tool and missed the store on Saturday, so I had to do it on Sunday when no automotive places were open for alignments. Oh well, I'll be getting one today and should be seeing road duty tomorrow or the day after (depending on when I can get it picked up).

One thing to add. I think there is a manufactured date on the side of the stuts... If there is, mine were original on a 2001 Sable with 234K on it! :eek:
Erick --

Just as an additional note, I took my car in for 2 new tires and an alignment Sunday morning before I had the tool for the inner tie rod ends. They called me back and said the inners needed to be replaced. I told them I knew that, but needed it road worthy this week. I have the 2 tie rod ends in my garage. She said to bring them in and we'll install them for $150. I said nope, I'll do it later and get it aligned later.
I called back and talked to another guy... He said that should have never been offered to me. They have the parts and to replace them, it would be $370 out the door. WTF? I asked him how much *one* inner tie rod was.... he said $75!! I just said uh, no, and hung up.
Then I took my Explorer, went to the auto store, rented the tool, went home and installed them both in a little over an hour and all it cost me was my already spent $20 for 2 of them off RockAuto!
Geesh...
I understand they need to make a living, but day-um!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$20 for the pair. I got the Raybestos ones.
RockAuto Parts Catalog
You could get all four tie rod ends for under $40! They were going to charge me $75 each and 2 hours. It cost me $20 for the pair and $60 for the tool (that I got back) and a little over an hour of my time. Oh, and 12 minutes watching the how to on YouTube! LOL
Erick --

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
1) When odometer reached 100k miles, I used to look for a replacement vehicle. For the first time in my life, I am driving a 127k mile car, thanks to this forum.

2) I have 4 Tauruses. When I got the 4th Taurus, my children said, "We knew you would get another Taurus." This forum is the main reason. I know I can get sufficient repair tips.

3) My 5th vehicle is F150. If there was an F150 forum as active as TCCA, I might have now 4 F150's and 1 Taurus. All f150 forums seem to be about lifting/lowering/chrome/bumper/grille/exhaust sound/bed cover/runner, etcetera,etcetera......Honestly, I get F150 repair tips here.

Thanks to my online friends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts