Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I went to the junk yards to try to find some parts to put on my 03' that Ford had deleted for the year, and to find some side skirts that were scraped up in a misshap. I went to about 8 different yards.

OK, the first two were U-PULL-It places. The newest Taurus I could find was a 97'. The rest were all Gen I and Gen II.

The other 6 were yards where they pulled the parts. All of these places had much newer cars. One of those I looked at on the internet and it said thay had an 00' SE and an 02' SE. So when I get there and ask they said they had it. I then asked for the side skirts and he said no they don't do those. I then asked for a switch for the glove box light. He said they only sell the entire dash assembly. The other 5 yards pretty much said they don't have the parts. I was pissed and I almost

Get this, one guy in front of me was looking for a door for a 98' Impalla. They said sure we have it. $400. You shoulda seen his eyes
. He said it should be around $200. The guy at the yard said the cheapest they go is $350. It is like damn just buy a new one at that price.

Anyways, the U-PULL-It places had their prices posted. Everything was dirt cheap. Tail light assemblies like $15. Doors $45 or so. Entire front clip was like $250-275 or so.

Well to make a crappy day better, at least I enjoyed looking at the cars in the U-pull-it places. There were even a few jags, and mercedes from the 70's. A few in good condition too. I also saw an older Impalla SS that had been wrapped around a pole so bad that it went at least half-way through the car. On the other side the doors had popped open since the car was in a U. Other interesting finds...MG convertable, mid-70's corvette, and a grayhound bus that had its engine gone and stripped going down the road.

Another interesting find, I saw at least 10 96'+ Grand Ams and Skylarks.
So it wasn't just me that had a 96' Grand Am that fell apart? In the 90,000 miles that I had the Grand Am I replaced 4 alternators, 2 struts, 2 shocks, 2 axle half-shafts, 1 wheel bairing, front brake pads 3 times, rear brake shoes once, had my drivers side rear wheel cyclinder sticking-so I took it apart ever 5,000 miles to lube it, replaced the plugs 2 times, 1 battery, 1 catilitic converter, 1 oxygen synsor, all the motor mounts, and had to recharge the A/C once due to some dumb leak in a sensor or switch that was also replace. And yeah the interor floor molding along the door cracked into 3 pieces. The all happened in about 3 1/2 years.

The moral to the story you may ask?

</span></span></span></span>[/b]
I just have to be more paitent waiting for the parts to arrive in the junk yards, as these cars take a lickin' and keep on tickin'......

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I love wandering around at the junkyards. It's fun to see what you can get off other cars and what cars there are.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Going to junk yards are awsome! The only thing I don't like is U-Pulls that think they have gold and won't sell you anything. There is one place in Canton, MI called E&M Auto Parts, they run the place like a communist country. Anyone in the Detroit area who has been there would agree with me. Idiots run rampid over there. I hope the EPA shuts them down one of these days.

S

·
0 Posts
ohh Listen closely and I shall tell yee a tale: well not a tale, It's a lot easier to work on cars in the Junk Yard, from when I pull out engines to simply taking emblems or AC/heater blower motors heheheheh, it's a lot easier in the junk yard. Why?? because if the car is already smashed up.. it doesn't matter if you smash it a little more.. for some reason it only takes about 30 seconds to take the hood off in the junkyard, (now it takes even less time with my battery sawzall hehe) when I was changing the blower motor on my brothers Lincoln it took my 3 hours to get the dash apart so I could get at it.. but in the junk yard it only took ten minutes to break the dash off revealing the blower motor.. hehehehehh.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Feb 17 2004, 06:56 PM

after seeing your smilies I wondered where you got them so 'tweedle dee dee' I was just testing out a smilie I found

hmm.. your explosion is bigger..

edit** here's another one I thought might be cool.... It would go well with..

""""Ohh nooo!! the moderators are comingg!!!!
""""

ohhh and if anyone wants a link to them:
http://www.cains-cottage.co.uk/smileys/index.htm

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found this on the forum that makes and supports the software for all of these Invision Power Boards. The mods can change these from time to time I beleave, but if you want your own just copy and paste to the IMG button.

-I just want this one in a Taurus.........

·
Registered
663 Posts
Pulling parts from a self-help junkyard is simply the easiest/funnest thing ever. Need to disconnect a tube? Cut it! A plastic panel getting in the way? Hammer it to pieces!

No one cares what you do in the junkyard, even the people who work there expect you to abuse their cars... those cars are officially junk anyway.

Great fun.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
The little junk yard I go to here in lil' ol' Burnet Texas is great. I usually get stuff for free when I pull it. There are a couple of Gen 3's that have given up a good bit of themselves to me. The most expensive parts I got where the rear ABS sensors for my rear disc conversion for $15. I just wish they had a few more cars to choose from, and most of them are older. But people hit deer or drive off into a ditch all the time out here, so there is always a fresh supply.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I like looking at www.car-parts.com. You can search a directory of yards and most places list prices. That way you can just call them with thier stock number or whatever or e-mail them to verrify they have it.

-Dan

·
Registered
901 Posts
I love were I live. There are to many junk yards so none of them over charge. I have 8 in a 10 mile radius. 2 specialize in new and 6 are anything but they all have atleat a dozen or more of gen II taurus or sables for me to choose from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I paid $28 for a tail light assembly I took off of a junked '03 SES for my '02 SEL at a Pick n Pull self-salvage yard. It is a Ford OEM assembly, in good condition, with bulb included. Swapping the salvaged part for my busted tail light was as easy as changing a flat tire.

A new tail light assembly from Ford would have cost over $130. The lowest prices I found online for a new "OE compatible" replacement (bulb not included) ranged from $59 to $79 (inc S&H). The cheaper ones are not CAPA certified (which itself is no guarantee), meaning they're the riskiest for poor quality materials and for not fitting exactly as they should. I don't even like to buy clothes online because I doubt they will look or fit like I expected...much less body parts parts for a car!

It's amazing the kind of stuff that can be found at pull-it-yourself junkyards for a fraction of "new replacement" online store or "they-pull-U-pay" salvage yard prices. There's no guarantee you'll find what you need in the best condition, but scavenging the pull-it-yourself junkyards first is a great way to save a few bucks...and it's kinda fun too!:p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Yesterday for the first time in my junk yard shopping I had to pay $2 entrance fee. Is this common in the north? I paid $15 for aluminum wheel, $17 in total. So I am not exactly complaining.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
$2 admission here in SE WI also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The place I go to here in Central Iowa is called Yaw Auto Salvage. Until this year, I hadn't been to a junkyard in years. I didn't think places like this still existed. They just let you in and you get to wander around acres and acres of wrecked vehicles, and try not to get killed in the meantime.

I'm serious, I'm always afraid that someone's going to pick up a car while I'm crawled up underneath the dashboard or something. It could happen....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here in eastern Washington (Spokane), they charge $2 to get in the local pullandsave. But you always make that back by loading up on fuses, light bulbs, stuff people have left in their cars...Just remember to wear your army cargo pants.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts