Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

221 - 231 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Well, I have a wheel bearing going out. A very slight, almost unnoticeable hum started last week, and has steadily grown worse. Got it up on a hoist and wiggled each wheel - passenger rear has a very slight click when pushing & pulling on opposite sides of the wheel. The noise sounds like it's coming from the front though, so I ordered two and will be replacing both passenger hubs when the parts arrive. Later on this spring/summer when I upgrade the brakes I'll replace the drivers side hubs as well. I am up to about 120k miles at this point so it's not surprising.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
So, that wheel bearing replacement sucked. It was rusted into the hub, and was not about to come out. Had to pick up a hub buster to get it off, but eventually it did. During the week and a half that it was down the fuel pump driver module went, so when I finally got the car off jack stands, it wouldn't start. A $80 trip to Ford and 30 seconds later it was back on the road.

Finally got all the stars on the car, too!

Now, I have put over 55k on this car since I bought it, and have never touched the brakes. They have a bit of life left, but it's time to upgrade. I bought a set of slotted rotors and premium semi-metallic pads. In the process of replacing the hub I discovered one of the slide pins was seized so I decided to replace all brackets and slide pins while I'm in there. Cleaned them off and masked off sliding surfaces - paint to go on tomorrow.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
I was in an accident on Sunday night. Brittany and I were headed home from picking up takeout. We were in the center of 3 lanes with a car on both sides and a green light, when a car coming from the other direction turned left in front of us. I saw the car to my left slam on the brakes, then a car in front of me. Slammed on the brakes and horn but couldn't avoid it - I hit the other car on the passenger side rear quarter panel. The other car spun a full 180.

The other driver had a yellow blinking turn arrow and failed to yield. I simply was unable to avoid her. Her car was most definitely totaled on the spot - Ford Tempos weren't produced after 1994 model year. The push bar took a lot of damage, as did the hood and structural bumper. Turns out the front frame rail crumple zone did exactly what it was designed to do, and in doing so, made the cost to repair more than the car was worth. My Taurus is now totaled.

None of us are majorly injured - I was able to brace myself, but Brittany has some soreness in her shoulders, back, and chest. Other driver thinks they have a concussion and is very sore.

Time to remove two and a half years of work from this car and find something new.

Taillight stuck in my grille

And the other car

·
Registered
402 Posts
Wow, that hurts, emotionally. Glade everyone seems okay.

In retrospect, do you think the push bar helped or hurt? Would lack of the push bar maybe done more body work damage but less frame damage or did it totally save your bacon from being fried?

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
So... another Taurus, right? :D

Glad to hear you lived to tell the tale. Doesn't even look that bad, can't believe it's dead and totaled...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Wow, that hurts, emotionally. Glade everyone seems okay.

In retrospect, do you think the push bar helped or hurt? Would lack of the push bar maybe done more body work damage but less frame damage or did it totally save your bacon from being fried?
I don't think it helped nor hurt - the speed I was going, it was totaled regardless. Without the push bar, I wouldn't have been able to drive it home, so there's that at least.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
So... another Taurus, right? :D

Glad to hear you lived to tell the tale. Doesn't even look that bad, can't believe it's dead and totaled...
It shares the same platform! Picking up a fully loaded 13 Flex AWD Ecoboost. It even has a refrigerated center console in the second row.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Glad you're both okay. Hard to believe that totaled the car. But, it's the hidden stuff that usually does it. It'll be interesting to see how you transform your new ride.

221 - 231 of 231 Posts