Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 451 Posts

·
Administrator
15,001 Posts
It is an interference engine with a poor gear to cam design. The gears slip on the cams and the engine grenades. A large number of V8 SHOs met untimely deaths as a result

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
What's the deal with cam welding and why is it necessary on these?
Welcome aboard!

The camshafts on the V8 SHO 3.4L engine were frequently defective. They would slip time and cause valvetrain damage or worse.

There is a fairly widely known procedure to make sure this never happens to a V8 SHO engine. It is welding the inner camshaft timing sprockets to the camshafts themselves. It prevents the timing slip.

V8SHO.com is a good place to search about camwelding.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I saw four projector sets just sitting along the road in gutters this morning, it's very cheap. I also dodged streetglow and Rose Mist body panels in the parking lot at work. Not to mention the rolls and rolls of carbon fiber wrap.
HA! I get it!

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
First update to the log!!!!!!

I decided to fiddle with the fuses tonight thinking that it wouldn't do anything, but tried it anyways.

Any who, I replaced 3 fuses and voila! ICP Bezel now works! JBL Sound system is amazing! EATC works, and my speedo/odo are functioning properly (again)!

That's all for now, folks!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Always follow cheap stuff first, good! Free is the right price.

Next question is why did the fuse pop...hopefully you don't have electrical issues - those are never fun to deal with. But the alternator not operating properly could be why they popped - you should have seen my SHO when the alternator was dying. Voltage regulator was not doing a good job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What's the deal with cam welding and why is it necessary on these?
^ What they all said already.
Plus there was a big lawsuit pending against FoMoCo for it, of course no one was ever compensated for it and there was no recall issued to fix in what my opinion was an engineering flaw that, when and not if, it happens results in catastrophic engine failure.

Good news though, It's a well documented issue and can be fixed!

I saw a Rose Mist Sable earlier today, What a unique color.

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well I've discovered that somebody installed a PIE Adapter for iPhone/iPod.

1413144937847.jpg

That, in combination with the dead battery and alternator is probably what blew the fuse.

Since I don't have an iPhone, I'm going to buy an adapter for the iPhone plug and use it with my Android.

Whoever did the install, (probably Best Buy) must've broken the cupholders, so I removed them for cleaning and repaired the springs that weren't in place, and hot glued the cupholder's face plate back on. It works excellent now!

(Broken)
1413144966018.jpg

I also took some time to polish up the two front chromies. They look amazing now!
1413145144833.jpg

That's it for today, folks. Stay tuned!

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,026 Posts
Is it the 30-pin dock connector or just a standard plug?

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,026 Posts
Josh's 1996 Ford Taurus SHO (Rosemist)

30 pin dock connector (standard plug would be the 3.5mm jack on everything). No adapter exists, it's useless without an older iPod or older iPhone (2004-2011 models) Given that Apple dominated the music player market it's not exactly unexpected they had one, and this would have let them charge and play music with one plug.

There are 30-pin to Lightning but not 30-pin to 3.5mm. Either get a device that can use it or replace it.

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Maybe not from Apple directly, but from other sources.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Regarding calipers and paint -

No.

A car like that you go 100% stock.

Wire brush the calipers, because Ford never bothered to paint them. But then you put a nice satin clear coat on them. Bare metal is the correct appearance for the 96 SHO caliper. At this point, Your car is so rare I would be interested in keeping it stock/stock appearing.

Wanna but a spare set of calipers to paint? I've got them, I believe. Then you can have something to trade off from the car when 100% stock is called for.

·
TCCA Facebook Admin
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Regarding calipers and paint -

No.

A car like that you go 100% stock.

Wire brush the calipers, because Ford never bothered to paint them. But then you put a nice satin clear coat on them. Bare metal is the correct appearance for the 96 SHO caliper. At this point, Your car is so rare I would be interested in keeping it stock/stock appearing.

Wanna buy a spare set of calipers to paint? I've got them, I believe. Then you can have something to trade off from the car when 100% stock is called for.
I'd rather see dark purple instead of rust or bare metal, and I think it contrasts well with the Rose Mist. If I ever need to I'll remove the paint, it's easy to do.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
It's your car, do whatever you want to it. I think black would look best. That purple you want on the calipers belongs on honda valve covers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

21 - 40 of 451 Posts