Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have come to notice that whenever I turn off my '99 Taurus, it creates a jet-turbine sound that slowly gets quieter, followed by a weird, sort of guzzling (or something) noise. The turbine sound, I believe, is easier to hear inside of the car, as is the short guzzling afterwards. The noise comes from the passenger side of the car, up in the hood I believe. Is this sound standard in most Tauruses?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You can hear it better INSIDE the car?

I was thinking the "turbine sound" was maybe the coolong fan - and the "guzzling" (I assume you mean gurgling) was maybe the coolant boiling in the recovery tank (not good).

Did you think to open the hood before you shut it off and have someone stand and witness the sound to maybe get a better idea of where the sounds are eminating from?

Happy fishing.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I have had a noise similar to that, but not in the Taurus. The gurgling sound was freon flowing through the pipes and evaporator, when the freon was low.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
The turbine sound is the radiator fan winding down.
Yet nother one of those mysteries that nobody talks about, but most encounter on a daily basis... I always thought that it was the A/C Compressor winding down after shutoff. (If it has a clutch it can freely spin after the pulley stops right?)

·
Registered
619 Posts
The A/C clutch stops almost immediately when the clutch is released.

Pretty sure you are hearing Freon pressure equalizing and the fan winding down.

Do remember the A/C runs in all modes except Vent and Floor.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
If you get caught in stop and go traffic and you're not running the A/C you can still hear the cooling fan wind down when you turn off the engine.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts