Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on Cardomain someone had a Taurus with a "Jet chip." That's what they called it. Said that they had a boost in power and gas mileage. Anyone ever use a chip or heard of this one?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
SCT is a GREAT Company and they do produce results, but it's all in the tune or who makes the tune for your vehicle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
the JET chip does nothing more than advance your timing. You MUST use premium fuel.
If you use regular, the chip literally goes dormant. Nothing gained, nothing lost but $200.
Spend your money on a cold air intake.

·
Registered
24 Posts
$200 for a $0.02 resistor in your IAT circuit? Nice.
Well, I think they are actual modules that connect to the ECM, but yeah, they are not renowned for their excellent performance. Like ericf said, I think they just bump the spark curve up and call it a day.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well, I think they are actual modules that connect to the ECM, but yeah, they are not renowned for their excellent performance. Like ericf said, I think they just bump the spark curve up and call it a day.
The IAT sensor is designed to pull timing as the air heats up to prevent pre-ignition. Running a resistor in that circuit will constantly fool the computer into thinking it's colder, ramping the spark advance. Ford didn't give us much spark to play with, so the increase would be nice, but fooling the sensors isn't the proper way to do business. SCT or megasquirt FTW.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The IAT sensor is designed to pull timing as the air heats up to prevent pre-ignition. Running a resistor in that circuit will constantly fool the computer into thinking it's colder, ramping the spark advance. Ford didn't give us much spark to play with, so the increase would be nice, but fooling the sensors isn't the proper way to do business. SCT or megasquirt FTW.
Right, but what I'm saying is, some (at least the ones I remember) JET Chips were legitimate "chips" that connected directly to the ECM and had a new calibration that included pretty much only a remapped spark curve. They weren't the 6 cent eBay IAT / ECT resistors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts