Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 SES with 24V Duratech. I have owned since new. Great care. Has 75K on it. In the past I have replaced, fuel filter, new motorcraft plugs, air filter, etc. I live in Michigan. Just started to use the air. I notice when I am at a stop sign with the air on, the engine kinda jerks. I look at the tach and I can see it jump a little. Didn't do this last fall. Any ideas? The check engine light is not on. Would it store a code without turing on the light? When look at the engine in the driveway with air on, in drive, with foot on brake, I see the engine jerk back and fourth a little. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hehe,

I had the same exact thing happening to me about a month ago. I noticed the problem for a while and could figure out what it was. The I looked at it on "night" with my dad and noticed that we could see a spark every time it happened.

After pushing the sparkplug cap back on, which was off just enough to loose contact and misfire. I never noticed it without the air conditioner on.

Don't know if you have the same problem but I had the same symptoms, and that was my fix.

Ryan

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not that this helps, but I had/have the exact same problem with my Vulcan. It's not doing it anymore but was doing it alot last week. I've read a whole bunch of posts on a bunch of different sites, and it seems to me that the IAC keeps coming up again and again. So does the coolant temperature sensor.

Please let me know if you figure this one out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would lean toward the IAC. The A/C compressor cycles on and off, so the engine must compensate for the increased load. If the IAC is not responding fast enough, then would feel a jerk as the comprssor kicked on and the IAC responded slowly, or too much.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You're always going to get a little surge (maybe 100 - 300 or so RPMs) when the A/C is kicking on and off. It's the computer trying to make up for the extra load when the compressor comes on and again make up for losing the load when the compressor is off. My gen 3 does it very little, but I can feel it. My 2002 MPV does it too. I remember all of my cars doing it. It shouldn't be so much that the RPMs raise enough to make the car lurch if you are putting normal pressure on the brakes. If you are only putting enough pressure on the brake at a stop light to keep the car from rolling and the compressor kicks on, you may lurch forward a little. I've done that before. :D

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts