Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the Mach or JBL have any advantages over each other? And is the JBL still trunk mounted? I remember seeing something about the JBL being in the glovebox for some reason..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the Mach or JBL have any advantages over each other? And is the JBL still trunk mounted? I remember seeing something about the JBL being in the glovebox for some reason..
JBL is still trunk mounted, but to get the JBL sound to work the best, the external sub will needed which fits in the rear where the two other speakers are located at. There has been a lot of opinions of which one is better, but you also should make sure you receive tweeters as well, they are very helpful with the sound quality.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I prefer the Mach because I have it. The bass and clarity are both amazing considering it is a stock unit.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
I'm partial to the mach too, especially with aftermarket speakers.
All the JBL systems are now 14 years old considering they only came on the 1996 models.
That JBL subwoofer also hangs down into the middle of the trunk area.:)

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I like JBL better; it takes a little more work and money to retrofit but for me is well worthed. I wont use any of the factory jbl speakers though; only JBL RCU, JBL Sub and probably JBL Tweeters. (only for 96&97 cars)
For speakers I used Boston acoustic but any aftermarket speaker will give you better sound than any jbl or mach factory speaker.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I prefer the JBL unit myself as i have on in my bull since it was easier to add in an aftermarket amp for a subwoofer. I just tapped into the harness for the factory sub rather than having to use a line out converter and the such.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I prefer the JBL unit myself as i have on in my bull since it was easier to add in an aftermarket amp for a subwoofer. I just tapped into the harness for the factory sub rather than having to use a line out converter and the such.
So you just tapped into the sub harness to get the output, but did you have that run through a separate amp though? How did you go about doing that?

·
Registered
150 Posts
...That JBL subwoofer also hangs down into the middle of the trunk area.:)
If you have the trunk trim under the package shelf, it will cover the JBL sub (it "accordions" to fit).

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I like JBL better; it takes a little more work and money to retrofit but for me is well worthed. I wont use any of the factory jbl speakers though; only JBL RCU, JBL Sub and probably JBL Tweeters. (only for 96&97 cars)
For speakers I used Boston acoustic but any aftermarket speaker will give you better sound than any jbl or mach factory speaker.
X2. I second SHOMEX. JBL - JBL Speakers is the way to go. Mine is a factory combo. JBL + Mach speakers. I like it. Loud enough to shake the windows but not loud enough to blow my brains out. B)

PS: Warning: It does make my ears ring if I top the volumen, so I usually keep it about half way if I am driving alone and that is loud.

Lucky.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My plans for my stereo setup are a little too expensive for me at this time, but I wanted something better than the basic amp and basic speakers. So I bought some plain grill tweeters from Bull Geek and a Mach amp from Durasel. I picked up a set of Powerbass 5.25" components for the front doors and Powerbass 5.25" coaxials for the rear shelf, all in all, I had less than $80 invested in speakers after some wheeling and dealing. So far, the factory Ford tweeters are wired in, didn't have the time to figure out the mounting of the PB tweeters. Regardless, I love this setup.

While working on the rear shelf, I had thought about getting a 6x9 adapter (Which would allow mounting of a 6.5" speaker), a JL 6.5" sub and a small mono amp to power it, but the amount of bass coming out of the PBs and the Mach amp will hold me over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts