Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the u-pull-it. Needed a cd changer for my son's 99 SE. Found one in a 96 Sable. While pulling it I noticed the car had the JBL with sub system and it looks to be in very good condition and everything is there. It also has the power antenna. I am thinking of going back and pulling the system as they seem to be in demand. My son's car has already been upgraded to the Mach system. Is this system plug and play in the 99 SE? Will the power antenna work in a 99 SE? Also when pulling the JBL system would it be necessary to get all the wiring or anything else that people forget to make the system work properly. I was thinking maybe someone on this site might be interested in the components if they don't fit in the 99 without doing a lot of rewiring. Is the JBL any better than the Mach?

Ed

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
JBL is plug and play, so is power antenna. IMHO, has a better bottom end than the Mach as it has it's own power amp attached to the sub and low-bass frequencies aren't routed to the other speakers. My Tec has the same set up, so I might be a little biased.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
If you can find a system where the sub isn't shot, you are set. Be sure to grab the front speakers, front tweeters, amp, and sub, and as much wiring as possible. The rear speakers are not unique, just standard 6x8s.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bull Geek,
That is kind of what I need to know. I did notice that the JBL amp had an extra plug going to it, so I guess it really isn't plug and play. This jy does not keep cars too long before they crush them. How much of the wiring harness is needed. I really dont want to get into cutting wires and ruining it. I may at least just pull the amp speakers and antenna.

Ed

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have just discovered a brand new 6x9 replacement subwoofer:

Tang Band W69-1042J 6"x9" Subwoofer

This could potentially work as JBL sub replacement. The only problem is that this one is rated for 8 ohms. The factory RCUs most likely work best with 4 ohm loads. Running 8 ohm speaker off 4 ohm amplifier is fine, but the amplifier will send about twice less the rated power. One thing I'd consider doing though, is to get rid of the rear 6x8 speakers, install two of these 6x9 subwoofers in the rear speaker locations, wire the 6x9 subwoofers in parallel, resulting in 4 ohm load, and connect all to the sub channel on the JBL RCU.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I have just discovered a brand new 6x9 replacement subwoofer:

Tang Band W69-1042J 6"x9" Subwoofer

This could potentially work as JBL sub replacement. The only problem is that this one is rated for 8 ohms. The factory RCUs most likely work best with 4 ohm loads. Running 8 ohm speaker off 4 ohm amplifier is fine, but the amplifier will send about twice less the rated power. One thing I'd consider doing though, is to get rid of the rear 6x8 speakers, install two of these 6x9 subwoofers in the rear speaker locations, wire the 6x9 subwoofers in parallel, resulting in 4 ohm load, and connect all to the sub channel on the JBL RCU.
The sub-out on the JBL is not a powered outlet though, only pre-amp level. You will need amplification also, as the JBL sub has an 80 watt mono amp on it.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That 4th plug and the cd changer port plug on the rcu are all on the same harness, so it should all come apart in 1 harness. Should unplug from the sub and the cd changer itself.

And grab as much of the tweeter wiring in the doors as possible, as well as the speakers mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
Yes, espically noting what Bull Geek said about the front door speakers, I found a couple of JBL specific ones (3 way) in the cars that I looked at, I think this would greatly enhance your listening. also DON'T FORGET.... to get the rear package shelf ( the cover in the back window) the '96's had holes in the center for the sub , believe me, I got one and it sounds better with that shelf, as I had one before that didn't have the holes and it sounded much different.
Make sure you get one from a Taurus as the Sable shelf is different.

Check out my garage (don2775) on this site, there is a picture of the rear package shelf with the JBL sub holes posted there.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Don. The car is a sable so I guess I will have to keep an eye out for the rear shelf. Would that fit in a 99 SE?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Don,
Just looked at your garage. Nice car. I may have to go back and look at the system I saw. My memory is not that good, but I don't remember the sub and deck speakers looking so big. The sub had that amp and everything had JBL decal on it. The amp had the cooling fins and was actually a little bigger that the Mach amp. Maybe the picture is just not showing the size right. Anyway thanks for the info. I don't think I will be able to find the right deck for it. Has anyone out there done this swap into a 99SE? If so any problems?

Ed

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
Thanks...Not sure of the swap to a '99, I only know of some who have swapped to a '97 or '98, I believe you will have to add door tweeters, but I'm not completely sure. Otherwise it will be a plug and play system, do you have the CD changer as well?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I do have the cd changer. I plan on getting the system anyway and if it doesn't work out for me I figure I can sell it.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You could grab a spare speaker grille from a 96-early 99 Taurus and cut out a hole for the sound to flow through. The length and width of the shelfs are different enough that I don't think it would work. I'm having enough trouble making a 91 Sable rear shelf fit in the back of my 87 Taurus. Different heights and the distance between the lip of the rear neck and the rear window is over 1" different.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just did a Mach to JBL swap. I did nothing fancy to get it installed, and can literally take less than 20 minutes to do. I have Sony's all around and did not change the front tweeters at all. Didn't even mess with them. I do need to hunt up a jbl rear deck but am considering using one of the speaker grills I have in the garage. I plan to just dremel a hole in the middle and mount the grills I have after I paint them gray to blend a little better. It is really a very easy swap and I think it sound 10x better than the Mach.

·
Registered
173 Posts
What is even nicer, if you decide that you need more bass to your system all you need to do is add a 12 inch sub(or whatever size) and just use the harness for the JBL system. That way if you sell your car you can put everything stock again without messing up wires :p And sounds a lot better with the sub.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts