Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored to JBL RCUs today at the junkyard as well as one set of JBL rear speakers including the sub. Will this plug right in to my G3 (with the exception on the sub) and if not what will I need to do. I'm sorry if this is a repeat topic, I tried searching. Also, what is the output on the JBL? I know the Mach is around 85 watts but I understand the JBL is extra due to the sub.

What do the JBLs usually sell for online (used)? What about the 3 rear speakers.

Thanks for any help.
-FOX-

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Do I have the plug for the sub in my rear deck?

-FOX-
[/b]
Yes, if you obtained the JBL RCU, it has the plug for the factory sub that goes on the rear parcel shelf. I have the complete set up in mine. You will need the factory harness from the JBL RCU to the JBL Sub.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one cable I took off the car. It has two plugs that go in the RCU: a long black one and a shorter grey one. On the other end of the cable I have a white plug that hooks up to the sub. There is also a smaller(er) grey plug with a red/yel wire I assume is power and a ground connector. There is a bundle of wires that appears by the wire color to be a CD changer in plug, is this correct? I went out and tried the amp, it works but I couldn't get any sound out of the sub. Does it need to be grounded for it to work? (I forgot to connect it to the gound) Is there any other reason why the sub wouldn't turn on?

-FOX-

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I have one cable I took off the car. It has two plugs that go in the RCU: a long black one and a shorter grey one. On the other end of the cable I have a white plug that hooks up to the sub. There is also a smaller(er) grey plug with a red/yel wire I assume is power and a ground connector. There is a bundle of wires that appears by the wire color to be a CD changer in plug, is this correct? I went out and tried the amp, it works but I couldn't get any sound out of the sub. Does it need to be grounded for it to work? (I forgot to connect it to the gound) Is there any other reason why the sub wouldn't turn on?

-FOX-
[/b]
I had the same problem, initially a couple years back when I made the swap. IRC, the football has to be a certain year and it has to have the "CD" buttons on it. When I swapped out the football, it all worked. The plugs are pretty much self explanatory. Let us now if you get it working.

EDIT - I re-read your post. So you got both the radio and CD sounds out of the amp, just not the sub?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, the cut off connector is for the CD changer, I don't have one so no biggy. I took it back out and grounded the sub cable and was able to get sound out of it. So all seven speakers have sound now. I don't have the antenna connected yet so I was playing though my MP3 player spliced into the cassette wires. I still have to unbolt the old RCU and replace it with the JBL and mount the sub in the rear deck.

Any tips on pulling the carpet and padding out of the rear deck without damaging it? I did a number on the one in the junkyard.

-FOX-

Another question, one of the JBL speakers I pulled has the paper (but not really paper, more like cloth, I'm not sure what it's called stuff) that covers over the top of the speaker ripped so the cardboard cone is exposed. Would it be better to try to repair it or just remove it entirely? What does it do anyway? (Not a speaker expert here)

-FOX-

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Press your knee about a 1/4 of the way into the seat, and push forward, then pull up. Then do this on the other side...butt cushion should lift right up and out. Then remove the bolts holding on the back rest (if th eseat folds, check for them behind the flip/fold. From there you'll probably see some pushpins that hold the carpeting down. Pop those out and the rear deck should be easily removable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So butt cushion towards front of car and up to remove it. Then unbolt the seatbacks through the fold down hatch. Any idea how many push pins? Are then only in the front? Should I remove the metal speaker covers first?

Thanks to all for the help so far.

-FOX-

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
So butt cushion towards front of car and up to remove it. Then unbolt the seatbacks through the fold down hatch. Any idea how many push pins? Are then only in the front? Should I remove the metal speaker covers first?

Thanks to all for the help so far.

-FOX-
[/b]
Whoops butt cushion towards the *rear* of the car when you knee into it. Then pull up on it.

On my G4 there were 2 plastic pushpins that just pop out that sat right at the rear of the shelf (the seat back covers them). The speaker grilles are part of the shelf itself IIRC so the shelf should slide out once you remove the rear seat butt and back cushions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks man, I'll give it a try tomorrow after class. I'll let you know how it goes.

-FOX-

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed it all today. I still need to put the rear deck back in as well as all the molding a seat but it works good so far. The rear deck was easier than I thought it was going to be. Overall I'm happy with it. It's sounds great, Not amazing but surprisingly good for a semi-stock set-up.

-FOX-

ETA: Put the rest of my car back together, works great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I installed a set of speakers in the parcel shelf of my mom's G4 today. Are the stock speakers from a G4 worth replacing the stock speakers in my doors? The magnet on the back looks a good bit bigger than the ones out of my G3.

-FOX-

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Reguardless, stockers suck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The stock electronics are OK, but all stock speakers are paper cone garbage, and need to be replaced for decent sound. This includes JBL and Mach speakers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts