Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I went to the J/Y and pulled a JBL RCU out of a 96 LX. I hope it is a JBL. I have a 97GL, and the unit I put in place of mine looks different. It is bigger. Would that be true? and is this the same setup as MACH? or are the speakers different too. Any help would be great. I think it sounds better, but I can't really tell.

Thanks
Adam

PS: Is JBL and MACH the same thing?

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
amps are diffrent....jbl had the addition of the sub

jbl a hare more powerful
mach was cleaner

you got a jbl

in the mach system...the speakers were the same as stock, except there were low pass filters on the front speakers

brad

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by the_spy_guy@Apr 27 2004, 11:55 PM
in the mach system...the speakers were the same as stock, except there were low pass filters on the front speakers
im not familiar with the systems, and not trying to doubt you... but do you mean high pass filters? seems kinda odd to knock off the high end on the fronts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by hoss+Apr 27 2004, 11:21 PM-->QUOTE (hoss @ Apr 27 2004, 11:21 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-the_spy_guy
@Apr 27 2004, 11:55 PM
im not familiar with the systems, and not trying to doubt you... but do you mean high pass filters? seems kinda odd to knock off the high end on the fronts [/b]
IIRC the low pass filters are there because the tweeters are supposed to take the highs.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I got the JBL setup, but I didn't grab the sub. Should I be able to tell a difference without the sub? It seems like it sounds better though.

Adam

PS: Where is this sub?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Sub is in the rear deck, in the center hole. It adds a ton of bass to my system; I think ford tuned the JBL system to unload the bass from the other speakers to the sub. It sounds totally weak without it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
the mach speakers are different from the base system speakers, same size, but they have higher power handling (80w I believe, peak rating I'm sure) in addition to a differnt filter configuration. the magnets on my Mach speakers are bigger than the mags on my 96's base stereo system. add the sub if you possibly can, it would make a very nice addition. there are also differences in the JBL to mach setup, they are very different systems, the speakers are entirely different units, the amp is different and of course they have the sub. from what I've been told the JBL stereo was setup to allow lower frequencies from the tweeters, and lower frequencies from the lower 5x7, on the mach system that crossover point is upped a bit, that is the tweeter's high pass filter is higher, and the 5x7's low pass filter is higher as well.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, my next question, would be, where can I find this sub? and will it just mount and hook up in my GL? or what do I need with it? Thanks all for the help.

Adam

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so now that we have this figured out, if I buy the 6x9 sub for the JBL system, how and where do I hook it into? is there another place to plug it into, or do I tap into one of my rear speakers?

Thanks.

PS: I think it sounds way better than the factory GL setup I had in it already. Is it just me? or is true?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Originally posted by 97vulcan@Apr 29 2004, 04:06 PM
Ok, so now that we have this figured out, if I buy the 6x9 sub for the JBL system, how and where do I hook it into? is there another place to plug it into, or do I tap into one of my rear speakers?

Thanks.

PS: I think it sounds way better than the factory GL setup I had in it already. Is it just me? or is true?
you will either need to add an amp to power it, or there will be an output on that JBL amp to power it, but your stock connectors may not have those wires, you can try to add them, or go back the yard and pull the wiring harness of also, or at least just the connector and enough wire to work with.

its a bad idea to tap on of the rear speakers, it will mess up the impedence seen by the amp, could burn it out, or at best it will just sound like crap. do it right, you will be glad you did.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweet! Thanks for the help. If the JBL came stock with the sub, then I should be alright. I just need the harness. In the case that I don't get the sub, should I still see a big improvement over stock setup?

Thanks again.
Adam

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by the_spy_guy@Apr 29 2004, 09:16 AM
hoss....man....THROW ME A BONE!!!!!!!!!!!

yes...i do mean low pass filter

i think you are attracted to my every audio post in order to find somthing i idid wrong...... <_<
haha, sorry man. im not trying to call you out, i was just trying to understand better.

i dont search ya out, its just that... i cant stay away from you brad
. ill try to keep some distance though

do the low pass filters just knock the highs off of the mid-range for the tweeter?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Originally posted by 97vulcan@Apr 29 2004, 08:27 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the help. If the JBL came stock with the sub, then I should be alright. I just need the harness. In the case that I don't get the sub, should I still see a big improvement over stock setup?

Thanks again.
Adam
well maybe maybe not, the JBL will definitely have more power, but, without the JBL speakers you will probably find that the power handling of the stock base system speakers is not very good. it will probably sound better, but adding the sub will make a world of difference. while you're at it, if the budget allows, you might want to think of grabbing the 4 5x7's and the tweeters along with it, and do the full upgrade.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I will do that! Thanks again for the help. I'll let u know how it works out.

Adam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts