Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired a JBL rcu, tweeters, and a JBL sub just recently and I have installed it into my car. The JBL has been upgraded to 45 watt, but the Sub just is barely heard while driving around. Though I enjoy the loudness of the speakers on high, my rear view mirror doesn't even shake slightly.

Does anyone know how to enhance this bass in the car? I don't want to get a 12 inch sub, I like have a separate speaker makes the car look stock which is awesome. Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The stock stereo is designed to back of the bass at higher levels. There are devices that compensate for this effect, can't remember what they are called.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stock stereo is designed to back of the bass at higher levels. There are devices that compensate for this effect, can't remember what they are called.
Ah yes I am aware of that, I thought that started cutting out at around half point? I thought the sub though would be louder. Also forgot to mention I haven't drilled it into the car it is just sitting by the two other speakers this may be a cause?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I installed the JBL RCU and Sub in my car and hated it, I thought it sucked. The RCU cuts out ALL bass going to the rear deck speakers and instead hands (a small portion) of it over to the sub. I felt the stock radio had better low frequency sound.

With that said though, the stock sub does actually have some power. I have cut apart the wiring harness on mine and have it connected to the subwoofer output of my aftermarket radio. It works pretty good.

In the past I tried adding a new sub to the JBL setup, but didn't like it at ALL. If you try to splice into the rear speakers, the bass has been cut out by the RCU, so the new sub sounds like sh*t, and if you splice into the connector for the JBL SUB the bass increase isn't linear so at like 1/3 volume you'll be hitting the full output of your amp, and it stays that way till full volume.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed the JBL RCU and Sub in my car and hated it, I thought it sucked. The RCU cuts out ALL bass going to the rear deck speakers and instead hands (a small portion) of it over to the sub. I felt the stock radio had better low frequency sound.

With that said though, the stock sub does actually have some power. I have cut apart the wiring harness on mine and have it connected to the subwoofer output of my aftermarket radio. It works pretty good.

In the past I tried adding a new sub to the JBL setup, but didn't like it at ALL. If you try to splice into the rear speakers, the bass has been cut out by the RCU, so the new sub sounds like sh*t, and if you splice into the connector for the JBL SUB the bass increase isn't linear so at like 1/3 volume you'll be hitting the full output of your amp, and it stays that way till full volume.
Oh so if I want a bigger kick from that sub, I need a amp to bypass my amp to allow for that sub to push out more? I do enjoy the clarity of the highs and mids, which is way better than before, I just need that slight kick without buying a 12 inch sub.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts