Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Jaguar S-type Wheels

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  ken_23434 
#1 ·
My new wheels came in today. I was a little bit worried about them fitting. I found a couple custom wheel websites, came up with the same recommended wheel for both my '99 Sable and a '01 Jaguar S-type, so I figured the stock jag wheels would fit the Sable.

Not the case. The wheels look GREAT on the car. Just the look I was looking for. They are 17X7 wheels, with 235-50 tires. I installed a 1/4" spacer to try and correct the offset problem. It seemed to work up front, although the tire was VERY close to the strut. The rear wheel needed another 14 or more to clear the strut. I think that might be too much to try and correct with a wheel spacer.

Can anyone make any recommendations? It looks like I have a set of wheels to sell now. Not really a big deal, I thought this was a pretty good possibility when I bought them.

#2 ·
Pretty much a lost cause I'd say. You'd probably have to actually extend the axles a little to get them to fit right, not to mention roll the fenders a bit. You might also check to see if they fronts rub anywhere when you turn the wheel. Even with my 225's I rub the sub frame in the front a little on sharp turns.

With the cost needed to get the things to work, you're probably better off looking for some aftermarket rims in the size, bolt pattern, and offset you want.

-Dan

#3 ·
Originally posted by ken_23434@Dec 30 2003, 02:13 PM
My new wheels came in today. I was a little bit worried about them fitting. I found a couple custom wheel websites, came up with the same recommended wheel for both my '99 Sable and a '01 Jaguar S-type, so I figured the stock jag wheels would fit the Sable.

Not the case. The wheels look GREAT on the car. Just the look I was looking for. They are 17X7 wheels, with 235-50 tires. I installed a 1/4" spacer to try and correct the offset problem. It seemed to work up front, although the tire was VERY close to the strut. The rear wheel needed another 14 or more to clear the strut. I think that might be too much to try and correct with a wheel spacer.

Can anyone make any recommendations? It looks like I have a set of wheels to sell now. Not really a big deal, I thought this was a pretty good possibility when I bought them.
Hey if the website recomneded them send them back. They sold you the wrong size right? I like the look of those wheels also but you will be better off listening to Dan and getting some lookalike or other aftermarket wheels designed to fit.

#4 ·
I got them from Ebay. I saw them listed for the Jaguar or the Lincoln LS. The LS looks a lot like the Taurus, so I thought they might work. I was never able to find anything that listed the actual offset for the Jaguar. I assumed they would work based on some aftermarket wheels stating they would fit the Sable and the Jaguar for the same part number aftermarket wheel.

I did mount both wheels on the drivers side and lower the car back down. The wheels looked GREAT. Having that much meat under the fender wells looked just like I want the car to look. Unfortunately, I would probably need a 1/2" spacer in the rear to make it work. The edge of the rim was about 1/4" from the rear strut. Even with a smaller tire, I do not think the rims would work.

I was hoping maybe there was something I had not thought of.

#5 ·
I like those Jag wheels also.. Was waiting to hear what you found out.

JAGUAR S-TYPE FACTORY WHEELS,WHEELS ARE 17X7.5,5 LUG,60MM OFFSET

That 60mm offset will require a spacer, that is for sure. I'd love to see a picture of your vehicle with these rims on it.

You can look into a 1/2" spacer (I think 18mm (~3/4") to be exact?) and a longer lug bolt might be the ticket. (Aren't your stockers 42mm offset?)

-Wayne

#6 ·
Wish you had posted the offset earlier. I am not sure of the original offset. I think I have been seeing 40 to 45 mm in posts on here for the Taurus and Sable.

When I had the wheels mounted, they did look really good.

I am not sure if getting extended lugs and putting a spacer that thick is safe. Wouldn't that put a lot of stress on the wheel studs? I have no idea about that.

Like I said earlier, I think the front wheels would work with the 1/4" spacer. The rear looked like is still needed about half an inch. Maybe I will get out there, double up my 1/4" spacers on one rear wheel, and see how close it is.

#8 ·
A 1/2" spacer with the appropriate length axle studs should be no problem. Look at the wheel bolt pattern adapters, most are 1" at minimum. They also offer same pattern spacers in at LEAST 1" widths.

Just get proper axle studs and you will have no problem. When in doubt talk to the axle stud manufacture for their recommendations.

#9 ·
Adding 2 of the 1/4" spacers on the rear still did not get enough clearance so the tire would not touch the strut. As little as an extra 1/8" would do it. I am not sure if custom hub centric spacers would be worth the money. I stacked 3 of the 3/4" spacer together. That gave plenty of room between the tire and the strutt. I wanted to just take the car off the jack and see about tire to fender clearance, but there was not enough stud length to even start the lug nut.

I did take a couple pics with both driver side tires mounted.

Attachments

#13 ·
About 3am last night while I was unable to sleep, I thought of something that might help.

I have the rear struts/drum brake assembly I took off the rear end a couple months ago still sitting in my garage. It would be a lot easier to play with the spacer and measure the clearance using them. Plus, it would be out of the cold.

I am thinking about using one of the bolt adapter kits that are out there. Except, I am not changing the bolt pattern. As best I can tell, the Jag wheels are just over 63 mm for the hubs, same as the Taurus / Sable. If the offset was right, I wouldn't even need hub-centric adapters. SOOOO close, but ...

#15 ·
Those wheels are so bad!! I mean bad in a good way!!
They really are very classy looking, perfect for your Sable !! Let us know how it works out using the adapter kits.

#16 ·
Without any spacer, the actual wheel will touch the rear strut.

To make it work, I think I need a 3/4" spacer and longer wheel studs. Either that, or one of the spacers that has its own wheel studs. In that case, I would need to cut my studs to make them a little shorter.

Using either type of spacer, I will probably need to spend about $150 or more. Not sure about spending that much money, to find out the tires then rub the fenders or something like that.

I do really like the look of the wheels. I wish I had gotten the center caps with them also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.