Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a post in the old forums about my bull shaking at idle. It just threw a code at me. I don't know if its related at all, maybe it is and we'll figure something out together?

P0430.....

Anyone had this problem before in their bull? I've got a 97 Sable...Vulcan...

thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I actually a a similar problem with my sable. Sometimes I start the car and it shudders, then idles real low, and dies. I can't explain why, but it doesn't do it in any specific weather conditions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i remember correctly, your problem can be solved by replacing (or maybe even cleaning out) the IAC Valve (really easy to do). My car doesn't stall out. Maybe it will once the problem gets worse?

J

·
0 Posts
This info is from the 2001 Service CD but I believe it is still applicable:

HF1 DTCs P0420 OR P0430: CHECK FOR MISFIRE DETECTION MONITOR DTCS

NOTE 1: Be sure customer has not:

(1) Refueled vehicle with leaded gasoline.

(2) Noticed high vehicle oil consumption.

NOTE 2: If entering this Pinpoint Test for symptoms only, immediately GO to «HF5».

NOTE 3: Internal deterioration of a catalytic converter is usually caused by abnormal engine operation upstream of the catalyst. Events that can produce higher than normal temperatures in the catalyst are particularly suspect. For example, misfiring can cause higher than normal catalyst operating temperatures.

l Retrieve and record all Continuous Memory DTCs (MIL and non-MIL).

l Were any of the following Misfire Detection Monitor DTCs recorded: P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307, P0308, P0309 and P0310?

Yes
GO to Section 4, Powertrain«Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Charts», to address the Misfire Detection Monitor DTCs.

No
GO to «HF2».

J

·
0 Posts
HF2 CHECK FOR HO2S MONITOR DTCS

NOTE: Incorrect HO2S signal input (such as rich/lean input signal when the engine is operating under lean/rich conditions) can cause an abnormal temperature increase in the catalyst.

l Were any of the following HO2S monitor DTCs recorded in HF1: P0136, P0138 and P0141 (Bank 1, rear HO2S) or P0156, P0158 and P0161 (Bank 2, rear HO2S)?

Yes
GO to, Section 4, Powertrain «Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Charts», to address the HO2S Monitor DTCs.

No
GO to «HF3».

J

·
0 Posts
HF3 CHECK FOR ECT OR CHT SENSOR DTCS

NOTE:
ECT or CHT sensor DTCs can indicate that the thermostat is not operating correctly or that the engine coolant level is not filled to specification, producing above normal operating temperatures.

l Were any of the following ECT or CHT sensor DTCs recorded in HF1: P0117, P0118, P0125, P1117, P1285, P1288, P1289, P1290 and P1299?

Yes
GO to Section 4, Powertrain «Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Charts», to address the ECT or CHT sensor DTCs.

No
GO to «HF4».

J

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you're running rich or lean maybe? It's throwing errors that seem to be related to emissions somehow... :unsure:

Is that the only code it's giving? If you had another code it would help narrow it down. :)

B

·
0 Posts
430 basically means that the rear O2 sensor is detecting that the catalytic converter is operating out of parameters. This could be due to many things, and not necessarily that the converter or the O2 sensor is bad.

Follow the directions that Jason posted above, and that should lead you to the problem. I looked it up on the 97 CD, and it was the same information as what Jason posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone. New here.

Got a similar issue to the one above. Let me see if I can step through this with a little detail and get some good input.

1. Ran with a misfire (didn't miss all the time) for about 4 weeks off and on. I did not think my plugs or wires were bad since I replaced them about 16 months before (~30k miles).

2. Finally bought a cheap code reader and got a cylinder 1 misfire. Faulty plug. The insulator was completely split in half and separated (all intact thankfully). No doubt lots of detonation. Bosch +4's--never again. Good ol' Autolite from now on.

3. Also had a P430 code. Bank 2 catalyst below threshold. Cleared both codes. No problems for a while. That was about 8 months ago.

4. About three months ago I changed the oil and radiator fluid (fluid was brown, initially green, even though I had changed it a year ago). I started to get rough idling and the 430 code again.

After lots of anxiety and checking (and 10 days post oil change), I realized that I had put one quart too many into the car. Feeling really stupid and somewhat relieved (I've changing oil ever since I could tie my shoes), I drained the quart and bought enough fuel treatment/injector cleaner for about three tanks of gas and began running the car through 3 tanks of gas.

Within the next week the car was fine except for a persistent 430 code.

5. Now the 430 code is pending and I'm getting a cylinder miss at high rpm and idle, especially under a load. No other code is present and I'm about to go outside and start checking spark plugs. Also the radiator fluid is brown again (3-5 months since the last change).

Thanks for any help guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts