Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! It's been a while. How is everything going over here at TCCA? I miss this place. The 2010 Taurus is looking AMAZING btw.

Anyway, I've done some stuff to the Maxima and thought I would post some pics up. So far as far as major things go I've:

Rebuilt the transmission
lowered it on Tein S.Tech's
Installed KYB AGX adjustable struts
Replaced all the suspension bushings and strut mounts
Replaced the front wheel bearings
installed a cold air intake into the fenderwell
installed a warpspeed 2.5inch mandrel bent exhaust system
AE'ed the headlights and installed a 6000K high intensity discharge kit
ripped some interior goodies out of an Infiniti I30 and installed them
Hardwired my radar detector

Here are some cool pics:

Hardwired radar, i30 auto dim mirror, tilting headrests, 1998 homelink sunvisor with rolling code ability

My tranny guts.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey man, looks good. Clean as hell. Glad to see you're still around here.

How's that thing sound with the CAI and exhaust system? Pretty mean I bet. I've always loved the sound of those VQ's. B)
[/b]
The exhaust is sweet. Even though I can gain about 20 wheel horsepower by going with an aftermarket y-pipe with the pre-cats removed (the stock one is EXTREMELY restrictive. Removing it is singlehandedly by far the best horsepower gain for the money you can do), i decided to keep my stock y-pipe because even though it is extremely restrictive, it is perfectly equal length. The aftermarket ones are not. With the equal length y and the warpspeed b-pipe, it kinda has that 350z/g35like snarl.

The intake on the other hand, is LOUD. This is probably one of the gnarliest, loudest intakes of any car. The manifold on US Maximas of this generation had really really long thin intake runners which are great for low end torque, but it really makes a very unique sound that is extremely loud when unmuffled with the CAI. The downside to this intake is power really drops off after 5000RPM. That is why the 2000-2001 maximas make 37 more horsepower because they have a variable design that isn't as loud and it holds the power curve to 7000RPM.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice!!! My favorite Max has always been the 89(?) in Cream white Pearl.

[/b]

Nice! From the looks of the picture that is a good old 3rd gen!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
The CVI, or whatever the UIM is called on the 00-01, is still crazy loud with a CAI. My friend had an 00 5-speed, and that intake ROARED! Vq's, whether it be the 30 or 35, have some of the coolest sounding intake noises...ever.

I may have asked this before, but how difficult is the 00-01 UIM swap onto your car?

Great work! You've got an awesome looking max.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The CVI, or whatever the UIM is called on the 00-01, is still crazy loud with a CAI. My friend had an 00 5-speed, and that intake ROARED! Vq's, whether it be the 30 or 35, have some of the coolest sounding intake noises...ever.

I may have asked this before, but how difficult is the 00-01 UIM swap onto your car?

Great work! You've got an awesome looking max.
[/b]

They call it the 00vi swap. (2000-2001 variable intake)

There is also the MEVI (middle eastern variable intake 95 to 99) which was vacuum operated.

What all stock 4th gen maxis had was called the USIM (US intake manifold) which is what I have. This has more low end power than the MEVI, but suffers in the high end.

The 00vi throws down more torque throughout the entire rev range than either the USIM or MEVI. A lot of people do a JWT ECU which raises the rev limit to 7200RPM which is as high as you can go on the stock VQ30DE valve springs. I think they calculated that at 7200RPM the stock USIM is putting out like 70lb ft of torque, and the 00vi is putting out like 160.

With the extended rev limit, y pipe, 00vi and an underdrive pulley, people are throwing down like 210 hp at the wheels on a good day. O_O

But anyway, yea all of them roar pretty good. If you thought the 5th gen max (2000-2001) had a loud intake, the 4th gen USIM is like twice as loud. My friend had the stock exhaust on his 4th gen( which is like dead silent) and just an intake and in the middle of the night I could hear him roaring it an entire mile away. It was INCREDIBLY loud.

As for the 00vi swap in my car, this is a funny story actually. But I was in the junkyard the other day looking for a bumper piece to my dads Subaru, and I thought, what the hell, I go check out all those Tauruses over there for old times sake. Well...in the middle of the sea of wrecked Tauruses, there was an untouched 2001 Infiniti I30 with the entire intake and everything intact.

I am thinking about going this weekend and pulling it to do the 00vi swap on my car.

There are several ways to do it. The easiest is to use all 5th gen parts, which would mean the fuel rail, injectors, lower IM, upperIM, throttlebody, EGR tube, IACV, rear valve cover, rear coil packs, and an RPM switch.

Downside to this is you need an a VAFC or something to modify the air to fuel ratio and do a good tune because the 5th gen injectors are larger and it will run rich as hell without a tune. Also the 5th gen IACV doesn't always work that well with the 4th gen ECU.

If I do it what I will probably do is keep my 4th gen lowerIM, fuel rail, and injectors, and just drill new holes in the LIM to mount the 00vi UIM to it. Then I can avoid having to use the 5th gen rear valve cover and coil packs if I grind down the edges on my coils, so I will keep my coils and valve cover. And so I don't need an adaptor plate, I will probably just use the 5th gen throttle body and IACV and just deal with the idling issues.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
:eek:

Wow, that's pretty wild, but sounds cool! Whatever you end up doing, be sure to post progress pics and vids. I'll do the same if I start doing creative intake manifold swapping on the Taurus. :thumb:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:eek:

Wow, that's pretty wild, but sounds cool! Whatever you end up doing, be sure to post progress pics and vids. I'll do the same if I start doing creative intake manifold swapping on the Taurus. :thumb:
[/b]
Are there any worthwhile swaps on the Taurus? I think the 2000+ Vulcans had a different design over the 90's.

I guess on the d-tec if you wanted to get rid of the easilly gunkable split ports you could swap to the 2000 and up oval port. All the Taurus manifolds seem to be pretty good as is though.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
An 01+ composite manifold is a decently good swap for the vulcan. 96-99 cars have to deal with egr issues, but it is essentially a bolt on mod. For 2000 vulcans, it is a direct bolt on. Never gets hot, and torque curve is flatter. I thought it was very worthwhile, but nothing dramatic in the power department.

The 04+ vulcans got a dual plane manifold, with a 60mm tb, stock (compared to the former 50mm stock tb, ewwww). This swap looks a bit more involved. Placement of a few things are different, but it looks do-able. I'd like to figure out the rpm point where the solenoid on the back of the manifold opens up, and connects the two plenums (supposedly for better top end power). If I can get all that figured out, I will probably just end up using the 04+ manifold when I put in a fresh 06 or 07 motor in my car.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An 01+ composite manifold is a decently good swap for the vulcan. 96-99 cars have to deal with egr issues, but it is essentially a bolt on mod. For 2000 vulcans, it is a direct bolt on. Never gets hot, and torque curve is flatter. I thought it was very worthwhile, but nothing dramatic in the power department.

The 04+ vulcans got a dual plane manifold, with a 60mm tb, stock (compared to the former 50mm stock tb, ewwww). This swap looks a bit more involved. Placement of a few things are different, but it looks do-able. I'd like to figure out the rpm point where the solenoid on the back of the manifold opens up, and connects the two plenums (supposedly for better top end power). If I can get all that figured out, I will probably just end up using the 04+ manifold when I put in a fresh 06 or 07 motor in my car.
[/b]

Oh nice! Yea I think I remember that. Hmm, anyone have any pictures of one of these 04+ manifolds out of the car? It sounds similar to the design Nissan used on the 3.5L VQ35 Maxima and Altimas.

As far as heat goes though, that is one thing that just kills me on the Max, the manifold gets sooo hot. I don't know why because on my 96 Taurus d-tec split port with the same material used in the manifold (I think aluminum?), the Taurus intake was always much cooler. I've seen some composite Ford intakes that don't get nearly as hot either. For some reason my Max and my mom's 08 Forester have manifolds that get really hot. I bet the thickness of the gasket has something to do with it.

As far as TB's go that is another limiting factor on the Max, I think we have a 50 or 55mm TB. I know my Duratec TB was definitely bigger.

Also, the Max runs coolant through the TB to activate a cold idle cam in there. It makes the TB get really hot. Why do they do that? I think the 3.4L v8 SHO's had a similar TB setup too didn't they?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just checked on that, wow the 04 vulcan looks like it has a dual shelf design IM. That design is soooo similar to the Nissan VQ35! I wonder why they gave the Vulcan an even more complex intake than the Duratecs of that generation? Normally it is higher revving DOHC engines that benefit more from variable intakes.

BTW check out these similarities in IM design:

Vulcan

Nissan VQ35DE

The way the Nissan works is it has a shelf in the collector and some sort of a valve that varies the flow based on the RPM. From the design, it looks a lot like the Vulcan IM is very similar in design and probably has a separating shelf in the collector too with a similar mechanism.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While I'm going apeshit in discussing intake manifolds, check this out.

Look at that horsepower difference from what I have compared with one of the variable intakes. I figure I'll post some pics up of them too.

00vi:

MEVI:

The crappy USIM I have on my car now:

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Yeah, the 04+ vulcans are a dual-shelf, as you call it. There is a electronic solenoid on the back, with a seperator between the two plenums. According to spridget, the 04+ duratecs also got a dual-shelf/dual-plenum UIM as well. :D

Not sure why ford went that route with the 04+ vulcans. Possibly because of the new cam profile, and possibly emissions. Only the Taurus vulcans (and sables) got the DP UIM. The rangers did not.

That's it, I'm going to make it my mission to figure out exactly how the DP vulcan UIMs work. It'll make it onto my current motor, or an 04+ motor that gets swapped in. :banana:

Good GOD the runners on the maxima intakes are long. No wonder those things make so much low-end power. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Ya I don't know why they went with metal and not composite on the VQ intakes. People have been getting thermal spacers installed to reduce the heat soak from the UIM. Makes a big difference.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good GOD the runners on the maxima intakes are long. No wonder those things make so much low-end power. :eek:
[/b]
Haha. Yea low end is beautiful, on my USIM though, its not too cool having to short shift it at 5500RPM. Power at 6500 is next to nothing with that intake lol. It also makes a sound similar to an army of pissed off wookies haha.

But yea, I don't know why but the 2000 and 2001 with the variable intake were the only years that they had a composite intake. After that the only thing that got them since then I think is the 09 Maxima. Even the 350z's and G35 versions of the VQ35 lacked a composite intake.

As far as your swap though, it should be a piece of cake if it is electronically controlled. If it is vacuum operated you might need to be more careful about making sure the vacuum source you provide to it is identical to the way it is on the 04+'s. Might get complicated if there are regulators and whatnot.

My guess is it is most likely electronic though. As long as it bolts up to the LIM correctly and the EGR layout is the same, it should be as simple as just swapping UIM's and adding an RPM switch.

Then of course you would have to read up on the activation point(s).

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
:werd: It's totally electronic. The egr placement is different, but the rear exhaust manifolds are the same from 00-07, so all I'd need is a tube. I'm hoping the activation is just a point in the rpm band, and it's not a continually variable setup. That could complicate things a bit.

Oh, i had a thought about intake noise levels between the USIM cars and the 00vi cars. Do you think that the more aggressive cams on the g4 maximas contribute to the higher levels of sound? Do the g4 cams work well on the 00-01 vi cars? :headscratch:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:werd: It's totally electronic. The egr placement is different, but the rear exhaust manifolds are the same from 00-07, so all I'd need is a tube. I'm hoping the activation is just a point in the rpm band, and it's not a continually variable setup. That could complicate things a bit.

Oh, i had a thought about intake noise levels between the USIM cars and the 00vi cars. Do you think that the more aggressive cams on the g4 maximas contribute to the higher levels of sound? Do the g4 cams work well on the 00-01 vi cars? :headscratch:
[/b]
Dang man, you know a lot about VQ's! But yea, I asked that question. It is mainly the intakes that are responsible for the ridiculous noise levels, but aggressive camshafts have a little to do with it.

From my understanding, all the camshafts are easily interchangeable. Even some people use VQ35 cams, though slightly modified since the '35 has VVT.

Apparently the VQ30DE-K (the 2000-2001 with the VI) has less aggressive intake cams and VERY slightly more aggressive exhaust cams. So ideally the setup would be the DE intake cams and the DE-K exhaust cams.

But if I had to choose from a set, I would definitely take the older gen DE's cams with the 00vi.

Speaking of intakes, just this afternoon I was on my why back from a ski race and the group I was with, our car wouldn't start (2006 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD with the CVT), so I got a chance to poke around under the hood. You are definitely right, the newer 'tecs do have the dual plenum intake as well. Looking from the top on, it looks similar to the old style, but that definitely is a revised dual plenum design for sure.

As for your swap, piece of cake if the exhaust manifolds are the same. You can just snag the EGR tube, the manifold, and get a summit RPM switch or something and it should be a pretty easy and straightforward swap.

As far as the activation point, normally they aren't continuously variable and it usually tends to be somewhere between 3500 and 5000RPM, depending on the design. I would check the factory service manuals or even see if you can get Ford to send you technical documentation on it.

Also too, the stock manifolds all seem pretty good on both the Duratec and the 4th gen Vulcans, I almost wonder if this dual plenum intake serves as more of a fuel efficiency/emissions improvement than power. Either way though, if you can get one for cheap out of the junkyard, I am sure you will have a flatter power curve!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts