Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just got a 96 Camaro V6. All stock from what I imagine and what he says. First starters this guy talk way TOO much crap about this car. He claims about weeks ago when he was trying it out, he raced some one and got it up too 160. Which I think is total BS. Than he get shows up to work today with it. This is first time I've seen it, since he got it this weekend. He got it from his uncle for FREE. And he tells me on the way to work he passed someone to doing 135 on a short road I know. The killer thing about these storys he tells me is, when no one was looking, I looked at his speedo and it only goes up to 120. So how the hell does he know how fast he's going. And i try to be a nice person and I don't want to call him a lier and a story teller. So the best thing to do is race him. Since I know my car can't do the things he claims he did.
Now I could write the list of things i've done to my car but, that's alot. So if you want to know what things I've done look in the garage under my name. None the less, I've got enough done to where I'm sure I could bet him. And if i do lose, it wont, be by a car and I'll be looking right at him.
I plan on getting this on video. I'll use my digital camera that has a video option. I would like to race NOW and get it over with but, that's what the weekends are for.

I'll definitely keep you guys informed of what happens.

And if anyone with a duratec has already raced one, please let me know what happened. Anyone else please give your opinions and start the betting :D

This will be my first real race against a respectable car. I better not start out a loser :blink:

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
is it an auto or stick? it should beat a tec but it would be a good race.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Camaro Specs

According to this site, the Camaro V6 also gets 200HP much like your Duratec (at least I'm assuming you have one by your post). It'll be a good race.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I've raced a V6 Camaro before, that was an auto. He beat me, but it was a very close race. He had me bottom end, but once the secondaries opened up, I caught up and almost won.

Good luck with the race. This guy is totally BSing and you will beat his a$$!

JR

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
That car should way in a little under 3200 lbs. and don't forget it has 220 ft/lbs. stock. This should even out to be a very, very close race. Good luck, be safe, and keep us updated!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Dude this is all yours go and beat him camaro's and skankbirds are crap.

Go and race him he does not have a chance

supposedly run a 16.1 quarter with a manual.

just lose your spare tire and any extra weight and race him with a quarter tank of gas just so you can put him in his place.

we here at the TCCA are behind you 110% :burnout:

G

·
You have BIG BAWZ!!! Go beat his a**.

For reference, the only mulletmobile that will go anywhere near those speeds was the Z28 and Trans Am of that era. IIRC, top speed on the Z was around 155 or so, and the TA edged that out at 157. That was with the 6 speed manual too, so there's no way an auto V6 is doing that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Go :spanking: his A**! ;)

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
My husband has an 86 camaro. We've raced twice and he's lost twice to duratec powah! :chili:

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well, all I can say you could beat his crap easily without any problem so show him you got power! I think the V6 3.4 are really slow because I raced with my friend when I got my car, wich was running like I couldn't believe and I race with his 94 Pontiac Firebird (automatic) which I think it has the same engine as the Camaro. I won by a few inches though while I was in front.

·
Registered
352 Posts
MulletMobile,Thats funny :beat-chevy:
I've raced a V6 Camaro before, that was an auto. He beat me, but it was a very close race. He had me bottom end, but once the secondaries opened up, I caught up and almost won.
:confused: secondaries?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by mikehawk@Jun 15 2004, 11:26 PM
So when are you gonna run this biotch?
I plan on doing it this Saturday. Which I think is also Fathers Day. So, it will be a quick race (all cought on tape) so I can get to the Father's Day thing.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by D Man+Jun 16 2004, 05:48 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (D Man @ Jun 16 2004, 05:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mikehawk@Jun 15 2004, 11:26 PM
So when are you gonna run this biotch?
I plan on doing it this Saturday. Which I think is also Fathers Day. So, it will be a quick race (all cought on tape) so I can get to the Father's Day thing. [/b][/quote]
Fathers day is Sunday...but you were close.

Secondaries, as someone else said, are the butterflies. They open after 3500 rpm to allow more air and fuel into the engine, thus increasing power. Thats what the whole twin cam thing is about...

My buddy Mike has a 2002 Firebird Firehawk Edition, with about $3000 worth of SLP Performance aftermarket stuff in it. The thing was dyno'd at 375 Hp and 390 ft-lb of torque. It's really impressive. Besides the fact that the clutch is really smooth, it's got so much damn power, that if you feel the car start to stall you can just mash the go pedal and pull out the stall...I love that car...he also has a "carputer" and a 7" LCD screen which controls the music and such...

JR

G

·
I have a track here in PA I go to once in a good while, as a matter of fact I beat a v6 camaro and v6 mustang the same day. It was fun the older v6 camaros suck real bad. lol.. I would be embarrased to have a supposedly fast car beat by a family car! :lol2:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Be sure you define what a "win" is with him very carefully before you race. Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but are you racing on the road or on a real drag strip? If its the latter, make sure to define whether a win is in ET or who gets to a certain point first.

Spank him and let them cower before the might of the Duratec. :ph34r:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts