Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its about Oct, and i'll be seeing snow flakes with in a month. So, what are some good guidlines to follow for winter taurus maintance????


Also, I believe i asked this last winter, but snow tires.. do you guys run them in the winter? The hills are unbelievably steep here, sometimes i find myself going backwords when im trying to go up a hill.. it sucks you have to put on yoru breaks and hope that you wont slide through an intersection backwards... So snow tires? brands? and also, would it be ok to through just two on the front? thanks for the help everyone


Jesse
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,228 Posts
just get some blizzak tires on some cheapo base model steelie rims. ALos drive alot slower and make sure your brakes are in good shape before the first big snow. Also DRIVE SLOW :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bleh i cant afford anything more than some tires i dont think :( but umm my alums will be fine right?
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
You could probably pick up steelies from a Gen 4 LX from a junkyard for dirty cheap (just call and ask them, or check ebay). But yes, you could put blizzack's (sp?) on your rims, but they are nice... and rare sport rims :unsure: I never run snow tires personally. I have some "high performance" all season tires that I bought last winter and I am very happy with them. But I don't have many really steep hills. I also have traction control though, which definitely helps. Make sure your brakes and ABS are in good working order, some people run different oil for easier starts, but that's probably not really an issue with such a new car. I really hate winter driving. <_<
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
My gf put some 215/60/16 Winterforce tires from Tirerack on her Maxima last year and they freakin rocked. Pretty cheap too, at $50/piece.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,482 Posts
shoot, i just use my normal rims. Have Mountain kings or something like that. see em kinda often actually. Might be a cheaper brand. BUT they were freaking awesome! just use them up front but they get the job done. It was night and day between my all season and the winters. I can stop on my steep hill and get going again. And dude, i definitely know what you mean. I dont dare try going up any of those streets. I've heard horror stories about agate and bridge st., and some funny ones of people hauling down them :lol2:

(yea yea, i know i did a stop and go type of style there, but i work nights and need to go to bed yet, haha)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Uh.....I never knew that there was more than one type of tyre, :blush: ....whats the difference between winter and um...normal tyres?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Originally posted by wozza@Sep 30 2004, 08:53 AM
Uh.....I never knew that there was more than one type of tyre, :blush: ....whats the difference between winter and um...normal tyres?
lol your kiddng rite? the difference between the 2 are:

All season tires are designed to handle wet and dry surfaces, and some snow.
Snow tires are specially constructed to grip snowy surfaces. Even the rubber is specially formulated to stay pliable in the cold and give you better traction on icy roads.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,758 Posts
I have my original set of 15" Ameri/G45S P205/65R15 tires. Those are going on after Lapeer. Its a thinner tire so it will help a little. Plus it will keep the winter salt off my slicers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by 96_sab_gs@Sep 30 2004, 05:48 AM
shoot, i just use my normal rims. Have Mountain kings or something like that. see em kinda often actually. Might be a cheaper brand. BUT they were freaking awesome! just use them up front but they get the job done. It was night and day between my all season and the winters. I can stop on my steep hill and get going again. And dude, i definitely know what you mean. I dont dare try going up any of those streets. I've heard horror stories about agate and bridge st., and some funny ones of people hauling down them :lol2:

(yea yea, i know i did a stop and go type of style there, but i work nights and need to go to bed yet, haha)
AGATE STREET! lol

the first snow we got, the real snow.. like 1 foot of greasy snow last year.. i had my new car and i wanted to test out how it did in the winter..so i started barreling up Agate street.. i started going slower, and slower and slower..and you know at the top...theres a stop sign..i knew if i stopped id never get going again, and slide all the way down it, and there was a dude behind me... i barreled through the stop sign and pretty much was closing my eyes LOL thats a reason why i need snow tires haha
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,168 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,515 Posts
omg00ses teh sn0w r0xx0rz irl

Skip spendin money on new tires for winter, i'm poor.

And plus it's always fun doing turns at 30mph and ending up in a ditch, or going up over a curb. I do that atleasr 6-7 times during the winter. I love it. Although, I don't think my car does.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
That's the one thing I love about being a Country boy. I don't have to worry about snow tires, snow men, snow plows, snow shovels. If we get an inch of snow, everything shuts down which means I get to sleep in. :banana:
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
i'm so excited for winter, i love snow...just hate driving in it...i'm ready to test out the accord in the snow...cause i couldn't control the sable for crap...i would turn going 5-10 mph *or break too fast* and "omg omg omg" i would lose control of bruce...he constantly fish tailed...kinda fun looking back at it..but not when you almost hit a cop :unsure: lol.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by SHO Continental@Oct 1 2004, 06:11 AM
What is snow? :huh:

:lol2: :p GO WEST COAST!!!!!
I love snow :p

Snow >>>>>>>>>>> 100 degreee heat.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
I love snow but we all know that with snow comes ice.... as in BLACK ICE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
We got 5" of snow last week here in Alaska. It's all melted now though.. I use studded snow tires throughout winter to spring breakup time. We usually have snow on the ground from October to late April though.. I'm not sure what conditions are like where the rest of you live. Here, after the first snow sticks.. it's going to be there for a few months. I've always used studded tires.. the only problems I've ever had so far is really deep snow and very icy, steep hills. I've never had the car slide on me.. but I do drive slow in the winter.

I don't even try to get out of my driveway if there was a really heavy snowfall.. heh. The road from my house is a slight hill and I usually just end up plowing snow with the bumper until I can't go anymore
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by mapleleafs@Oct 1 2004, 11:17 PM
We got 5" of snow last week here in Alaska. It's all melted now though.. I use studded snow tires throughout winter to spring breakup time. We usually have snow on the ground from October to late April though.. I'm not sure what conditions are like where the rest of you live. Here, after the first snow sticks.. it's going to be there for a few months. I've always used studded tires.. the only problems I've ever had so far is really deep snow and very icy, steep hills. I've never had the car slide on me.. but I do drive slow in the winter.

I don't even try to get out of my driveway if there was a really heavy snowfall.. heh. The road from my house is a slight hill and I usually just end up plowing snow with the bumper until I can't go anymore
We get up to 30 feet of annual snow fall here (our record), but average around 15 feet a year.


It starts in oct/november and doesnt melt until almost may.

I don't think studded tires are allowed here though...i wish they were, i need something...When i had a jeep cherokee sport, i remember having the snow plowing up and over the hood (driving through a 3 foot snow drift) i started slowing down slower and slower until bought got stuck lol so it can get pretty bad here :-o
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top