Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some engines have parts made from material similar to aluminum and are easy to damage by overheating engine.
When others are made from cast iron or iron that don't crack when overheated.
How about SFI Vulcan V6 or DOHC Duratec 30 V6?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I drove my DOHC Duratec without water pump (broken impeller) some 10 miles in 70-80F temperatures. Temperature gauge was indicating the max of the "normal", coolant overflowed... but nothing happend - no burned gasket, no warped heads. Maybe because is all aluminium and block/heads are dilating equally...
Anyway, I don't recomand that to nobody else, it was just my test, my car, my money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have seen many cracked iron cylinder heads and blocks. Aluminum typically warps. Iron cracks. Another issue you deal with is loss of compression and burning oil from losing tension in the rings. Never a good thing to over heat one Alum or iron. My current vulcan 3.0 has loss of compression and i think it was probably overheated by the previous owner. Could just be worn out though.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
At the same time it takes a lot to get "serious" damage from a Vulcan, it is a strong cast iron engine, it is made from Ford, but it is not invincible.

Avoid failure and disappointments by avoiding said risks.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The answer is yes, very yes. All engines are prone to damage from overheating. Some more than others. The damage doesn't always show up immediately either. All it takes is one good overheating, and the head gasket may fail as a result, but it sometimes fails years later. Engines that have never been overheated rarely have head gaskets fail. The heat also causes the oil to varnish the head, the rubber parts cook, etc. Overheating is bad, and even if the ill effects do not immediately show up, in the long run it can shave months or years off the engines life.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Yeah this some what of a dumb question. How much heat can your body take before it shuts down?

I theory your car should never overheat, that's why we have temperature gauges. Your gauge is the indicator telling you to "shut'er down" before things get too stupid. If you passed 8th grade you should know how to read this device. Anything pass 2/3rds scale and you should seriously take some preventive action. Like shutting it down and letting it cool off before proceeding.

Now for those of you who like to roll the dice and put the needle in to the "H" zone I'm sure you'll be posting shortly asking for help and diagnostics of what can I do? I personally think you're screwed and you screwed yourself. Ford gave you a temp gauge, use it correctly and save yourself headaches and $$$.

You need to maintain your cooling system like everything else on your car. You can start with regular scheduled flushes and for gods sake go out and spend $100 bucks on a cooling system pressure test kit. NAPA sells these items. Pressure test your cooling system at least once a year and look for leaks and weak hoses. It's a simple thing to do and could save you from overheating. It also verifies you pressure cap is in good shape as well. And Murphy's Law being what it is you'll overheat in the worst possible scenario. Is it really worth loosing your car over? Oh did I forget this kit also works on other cars as well?

And if being cool is your "thing" like me go spend some money on a tranny cooler as well.

Keeper Kool....

Monsoon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts