Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 96 Taurus GL and I install HID headlights on all my vehicles. After installation they appeared to be fine but when it got darker outside i noticed that they are different colors. One looks correct and the other has a yellowish tint to it. The company insists both bulbs are the same color temperature. Has anyone installed HIDs in their car and if so did you have the same issues?

Note: I installed brand new headlights at the same time so therefore the color would not be altered by a "yellowish" headlight. See pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Sounds like a quality control issue. My HIDs fire at exactly the same time and have the exact same color.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I got HID's (6000k) and after a while the driver's side bulb went very yellow, almost like standard halogens only brighter. It looked really wierd so I took them off. I'm not sure what went bad. I'm just going to get new ones.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I don't understand what is with you people and HIDs. The stock halogens are plenty bright enough so long as the lenses are clear and they are aimed properly. It not about what you can see, its about how much you blind other people. And don't assume that because no one flashes you that yours are fine.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't understand what is with you people and HIDs. The stock halogens are plenty bright enough so long as the lenses are clear and they are aimed properly. It not about what you can see, its about how much you blind other people. And don't assume that because no one flashes you that yours are fine.
For the same reason we mod our Taurii/Sables in the first place, to be different. Also I've seen stock HID setups with A LOT more glare than some of our setups. IMO if you don't get flashed after MONTHS of having your HIDs then you are most likely fine.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I recently purchased a 96 Taurus GL and I install HID headlights on all my vehicles. After installation they appeared to be fine but when it got darker outside i noticed that they are different colors. One looks correct and the other has a yellowish tint to it. The company insists both bulbs are the same color temperature. Has anyone installed HIDs in their car and if so did you have the same issues?

Note: I installed brand new headlights at the same time so therefore the color would not be altered by a "yellowish" headlight. See pic below.
Yeah those are definitely not the same bulb, I'd fight the company on it.
Email them the picture and let them see for themselves.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Bullshit. Halogen headlights are ALMOST tolerable, in these cars, with heavy-duty relayed harnesses and good bulbs. I have crystal-clear headlight lenses, and on stock halogens and headlight wiring, the output was pitiful. Having to check to make sure the lights are even on is not plenty bright.

If you use a good set of HID's, that places the arc in the same place as the stock halogen filament, and use a good color temperature (4300-5000k), then the performance is wonderful. Glare is minimal, and useful light output is fantastic.

EDIT: In case you're wondering, the lights in my signature picture are halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put 6000k in all my vehicles. Plus its a must for the wife. She has horrible vision and is almost legally blind. She is able to see much better with the HIDs so in my case its a safety concern. If we get flashed a couple times its worth it knowing my family is safer. I have tried all over the counter bulbs and so far the HIDs work best for us.

BTW.....still no reply from the company.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I purchased a set of DDMs slimline HIDs and ordered the kit with a set of 5000k telescoping bulbs (one bulb for high and low, since Xenons cant flash on and off quick, they need to warm up, the bulb moves for Hi beam). When I installing the kit one was white (5000k) and one was blue (8000k). I couldnt even tell that the 5000k was an HID so I emailed the company within the warrant time and they exchanged them for free and even for a new color. I now have 6000k bulbs with no glare problems, theres just a tint of blue which looks NICE not ANNOYING. Anyways, mismatched bulbs is common with so many returns and exhanges coming in. I agree with an earlier post. You can fight it, take a picture, email them and double check on the bulbs themselves, sometimes they're labeled. If all else fails, DDM Tuning sells HID bulbs DIRT cheap and you can get telescoping or non-telescoping, but they're warranteed for free for life (along with all HID parts if purchased from them) and if its within 30 days, they'll exchange for a completely different set.

·
Registered
305 Posts
"its about how much you blind other people."

I get road blinded when being tailgated by a vehicle with 3 sets of lights, one set is on high beam ! I sort of get the feeling I"m in the scene from Close Encounters of the Third Kind when the spaceship lands behind his truck. I recognize the need for good vision at night and on country or poorly light roads, but sometimes it's a bit much.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
They are far from plenty bright. Would you rather us use catz zeta instead of HID? It may make the light brighter but the amount of heat generated from a boosted halogen could be dangerous. Besides with as many trucks on the road with factory halogens that are blinding on a daily basis because they sit higher than our car that are on the road, HIDs in our housing would be the least of everyone's problems since the taurus reflector can produce a pretty good beam pattern without an ocean of glare.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
where can i find hid lights for a gen 3??
Either of the kits below will work, just make sure that you choose "9007" bulb for whichever one you decide to buy. A lot of people on here have this kit and it works really well for the price. I personally have the DDM Slim HID kit with the 55W ballasts and 4500k Bulb temp. Good luck!

#1 - HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

#2 - HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

1 - 15 of 15 Posts