Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
If I am rolling on the highway and have to pass someone or fly away from someone tailing me I am very happy with the power. The upper end is real nice. If I were doing a lot of street racing however I would be beat off the line every time. I wish it had more low end. Overall however I am very pleased with my Mad Vulcan Powah Baby.
:jump_with_joy:

·
Registered
183 Posts
yea they're no SRT-4 Neon, but hey at least its not an 4 banger import. im just gonna buy a mustang and but a gen 3 shell on it. it will be my ghetto NASCAR

G

·
I'm pretty happy with my Vulcan. It serves me very well. There are times where I would like more power, but it is very impressive for a base engine IMO. :) It seems to carry the car very well.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
For what it is, the Vulcan is great. You have to flog it pretty hard to keep it in shape though. Damn adaptive trannies. :angryfire:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Jun 24 2004, 09:10 PM
I wish we had what the new Grand Prix has...205HP base engine. 260 optional.
That comes with larger displacement, which would be Essex. Of course, then makes no sense to pay any premium for Duratec- imagine what debate it would be if Essex and Duratec were two choices?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I bet my Vulcan will out live all of the Duratecs out there. You can't deny that its a proven design with a proven track record.

It tough as nails and enough power to have fun with. Granted, its not a racer engine (unless you buy Jason King's Vulcan race engine for $15K) but I have never been unhappy with the performance in all the bands.

Hopefully, I can get that Apten chip going on my ride. I think a different transmission shift point will do wonders.

G

·
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Jun 24 2004, 10:10 PM
For what it is, the Vulcan is great.  You have to flog it pretty hard to keep it in shape though.  Damn adaptive trannies.  :angryfire:
Yeah, those adaptive trannies can be a real pain. :lol: If you unplug your negative battery cable for 20 minutes prior to running the car and run it hard afterwards, it will shift very nicely. B) I'm gonna try it the next time I go to a drag strip. :)

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225+Jun 25 2004, 01:00 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jason8225 @ Jun 25 2004, 01:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SixFoFalcon@Jun 24 2004, 10:10 PM
For what it is, the Vulcan is great.  You have to flog it pretty hard to keep it in shape though.  Damn adaptive trannies.  :angryfire:
Yeah, those adaptive trannies can be a real pain. :lol: If you unplug your negative battery cable for 20 minutes prior to running the car and run it hard afterwards, it will shift very nicely. B) I'm gonna try it the next time I go to a drag strip. :) [/b][/quote]
ive learned that if u just drive it hard for a lil bit, the shift points go all the way up when ur WOT. like 5,500rpm in a vulcan high. but im slowin down now

the vulcan can be fast, just have to compare it to 4cyls. not the new jap ones either, the older ones. the new ones with DOHC and valve technology kill the vulcan in forms of power, but u can beat old pushrod tech.
oh and g3 and g4 vulcans, deff have better power. i just dont realize it in the g4 yet cause my dad drives it like a granny so the shift points are as low as they can go.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My vulcan was faster then a V8 SHO. B)

I'm gonna build a rail car with a gen 3 vulcan it won't be slow.

I was considering a race vulcan build up but that would cost me like 30k cdn eh and I would have to buy all my parts from Morana like custom reground roller camshafts eh.

Seriously though you are comparing apples to oranges a 3.0 vulcan has more get up and go then most other OHV ~3.0 engines and as much reliablity as a Chev 350 or Ford 302

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick Norris@Jun 25 2004, 10:52 PM
My vulcan was faster then a V8 SHO. B)
Something definitly had to be wrong with the SHO. Unless you were running NOS or something... I have owned both a V8 SHO and a Vulcan and the Vulcan is definitly, horribly, noticably slower. You can't compare a 240HP DOHC 32 Valve V8 with a OHV 12 Valve V6 @ 145HP. Absolutly no comparison.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
my vulcan is fast enought to peel off in front of people at a local cruise spot :eek: :banana: B)

of course i was pulling out of the parking lot and turning, but im happy none the less, my crappy tires bark like crazy when i give some power, not even hard.

·
Registered
308 Posts
my vulcan is fast enought to peel off in front of people at a local cruise spot 
You are the man Mario! I mean the Night! Silvernight!!! Hi Ho Silver! :p
I like silver also. ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Originally posted by kjw86ca+Jun 26 2004, 12:49 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kjw86ca @ Jun 26 2004, 12:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Patrick Norris@Jun 25 2004, 10:52 PM
My vulcan was faster then a V8 SHO.  B)
Something definitly had to be wrong with the SHO. Unless you were running NOS or something... I have owned both a V8 SHO and a Vulcan and the Vulcan is definitly, horribly, noticably slower. You can't compare a 240HP DOHC 32 Valve V8 with a OHV 12 Valve V6 @ 145HP. Absolutly no comparison. [/b][/quote]
I didn't say I wasn't running nos. and I don't think the owner of the SHO would appreicate you saying something was wrong with his car. :lol2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.