Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so lately, every now and then when I pull out my parking spot at home it looks like a fluid was leaking. all fluids were in the acceptable range on the stick, had two people check and couldnt find a source. I had not seen a spot there in about a week. car drove normally (i'm questioning anything i hear/smell/feel).

tonite as I go and make a right turn, i start to accelerate, felt a slight jerk, RPM shot up to around 5000 and i stopped accelerating. I didn't make it out the road in time and needed assistance to get all the way out of the road. My brother shows up and starts looking under the car. there's definitely tranny fluid coming out. there's a hose that goes into the radiator that has fluid on it and all around it. the stick is still wet. the tranny and/or engine (i dont know which one really) makes a "whinny" sound when slightly revved.

Is the tranny gone? is it a line/hose?

·
Registered
211 Posts
your torque converter seal could be blown. Though the high rev and loss off acceleration sounds very much like a clutch issue. Is there any bubbles on the dip stick? If your fwd clutch is sol then its rebuild time, if any seals are blown then the time and money to drop it to fix them you might as well rebuild it anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no bubbles on the stick. rebuild sound expensive. I can't afford to put any more money into fixing another issue on this car. I just replaced the radiator at the dealership two weeks ago to the tune of almost $900. I'm leaving it right where it is. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The tranny is your weak point when compared to the iron vulcan engine. If you already have sound money into the cooling system and your engine has been taken care of a rebuild could take you another 100k miles.

Just something to think about. Sometimes it sucks to put more money into the car which already has a lower value but you have to look at how many miles you can get out of the car for your dollar.

Most well taken care of Vulcans can easily surpass 200k miles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. My transmission failed at 102,295 miles. I was pulling away from a stop sign and had barely made it through the intersection when the RPMs suddenly shot up as if I had bumped the shift lever into neutral, and suddenly I began hearing a whirring sound. The car would not pull at all, as if it was in neutral.

You mentioned your car making a "whinny" sound when revved, which is probably the same thing I was hearing. But, there is one difference and that is that I didn't have any leaks, and you've described having transmission fluid leaking from somewhere. If you didn't have any fluid showing on the dipstick, I might hope you just had a low fluid problem. We can hope!

In my case it was the torque converter. I chose to have a rebuild because of the relatively low mileage and because the Vulcan seems like it has a lot of life yet. I tend to keep vehicles a very long time (my wife's Toyota Sienna has over 276,000 miles on it).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i wish i could do a rebuild, but I just don't have the money or the patience. Like I said, I've put too much money into the car in the short time I've had it. It's really killing me.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Is that all a rebuild costs? I thought it was $1500 ish
I was making a point that it costs a significant amount of money to keep an older car running. $1500-$3000 seems to be the range depending on the quality of the rebuild and where you take it(if you pay someone else to do it). Still a bargain if the rest of the car is good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i cant trust if teh rest of the car is good or not. I've probably paid $2k already on other stuff in a little over three months of having it. I can't pay another $1k in the hopes that nothing else breaks. I was sold a lemon, plain and simple. my savings is empty I can't afford it anymore.

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Sorry to hear about your frustration-understandable. If it's leaking at the radiator that should not be that expensive to fix. As long as the fluid level in the transmission does not go low there should be no damage done internally. Maybe you can keep it going for a while until you decide on your next move. Good luck!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I was making a point that it costs a significant amount of money to keep an older car running. $1500-$3000 seems to be the range depending on the quality of the rebuild and where you take it(if you pay someone else to do it). Still a bargain if the rest of the car is good.

Wow up to $3,000!

Any thoughts on which ones are the best at which price point?

I have a AAMCO nearby as well as a Mr Transmission and Pro Transmission.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Wow up to $3,000!

Any thoughts on which ones are the best at which price point?

I have a AAMCO nearby as well as a Mr Transmission and Pro Transmission.
Since I rebuilt mine I have limited insight. When I was contemplating my options I found that the best rebuilds have the current updates installed, are tested at the factory, and carry a 2-3 year warrantee.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
is that including a rebuild or just remove and install? I talked to a guy today and he said it isnt a one man job droping the framework and I would need a lift.
Just remove/install for first time(no experience). Lift is not needed, but would help. Assistant is needed in my opinion.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear about your frustration-understandable. If it's leaking at the radiator that should not be that expensive to fix. As long as the fluid level in the transmission does not go low there should be no damage done internally. Maybe you can keep it going for a while until you decide on your next move. Good luck!
it makes the whirring sound, I assume due to all the fluid leaking out of it. part of me wants to jsut do what I have to do, but my heart says otherwise. I felt that way with the radiator, and was happy for two weeks. just made an appointment to have my suspension looked at this week due to some knocking but that's it. I even bought two new tires last week. i feel like slashing them now. I'm sorry if I'm so negative, I'm just extremely frustrated and just have to vent somehow

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I had a leak near the radiator once, turned out to be a rusted cooler line. Cost 20 bucks to fix. Top off the trans and start it up. Follow the leak to it's source while running. You might end up pleasantly surprised at what it isn't.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
no bubbles on the stick. rebuild sound expensive. I can't afford to put any more money into fixing another issue on this car. I just replaced the radiator at the dealership two weeks ago to the tune of almost $900. I'm leaving it right where it is. thanks for your help.
Are you sure it's not leaking from the cooler lines? Seems ironic it starts leaking atf soon after a radiator was installed. A dealer wanted $900 to just replace a radiator? That's way too much! Shouldn't be over $500, and that's also an over inflated shop price. I would also start looking for a better, cheaper shop to take it to (perhaps mom and pop owned), not the dealer, of which charges way over what things "should" cost. Check the cooler lines, and double check the atf level. Maybe the atf pump went out, and all you need is just the valve body rebuilt with a new pump. My old '93 Taurus started doing the same thing when the pump shaft went (I stopped driving it right after it started shifting wierd), I got by with just a valve body rebuild, and the rest of the transmission lasted well over 200k, it had the axod-e transmission in it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts